TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 022: MOSES’ CALLING – by Tanis Harms, © 2014

TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 022:
MOSES’ CALLING – by Tanis Harms, © 2014
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com


(Ideal for a class going through the main Bible stories. For more, see Time Travel Bible Series menu page.)

STYLE:
Drama/fantasy. (8 pages)

PREMISE:
Brook and Darren imagine what it must have been like for Moses after he murdered a guard and ran away from Egypt.

TOPIC:
God’s purpose, being called.

SCRIPTURE:
Exodus 2:15-4:31.

CHARACTERS (LINE COUNT) DESCRIPTION:
(14) BROOK – inquisitive girl
(13) DARREN – adventurous boy
(12) MOSES –
( 6) ZIPPORAH –
( 4) JETHRO –
( 5) GOD’S VOICE –

PROPS:
Bible (which can have script inside), shepherd’s staff.


SCENE 1:

INTRO OPTION 1A:
(If using this as a stand-alone skit, or if you are starting the series at this point.)

(Darren stands holding a Bible, just staring at the book’s cover when Brook walks in and notices.)

BROOK:
Hey Darren... What are you doing?

DARREN:
Trying to read the Bible.

BROOK:
It helps if you open the book.

DARREN:
(signing helplessly)
I’ve tried that. There are so many big words, and funny names, and-

BROOK:
I bet if it was a computer game, you’d be all into it.

DARREN:
Or just IMAGINE – if we could time travel back, and SEE the Bible stories as they happen!

BROOK:
So, why don’t we try that?!

(Darren holds the Bible while Brook opens it up. Both look at the Bible together, eyes wide and exited.)


INTRO OPTION 1B:
(If you are continuing on in the series.)

(Darren and Brook enter. Darren carries a Bible.)

BROOK:
So, I need to know if Moses survives in the wilderness, but more importantly, I want to know how God helps His people.

DARREN:
Then let’s get ready for imagination time travel!

(Darren holds the Bible up, while Brook opens the Bible. They look with excitement, then look around, wondering.)


SCENE 2:

(Moses enters and stops to catch his breath, then continues walking across and offstage.)

BROOK:
Well, Moses is still alive. Which is surprising, since he was raised as a prince and had everything done for him.

DARREN:
Moses was raised by Pharaoh’s daughter, but he saw how his own people, the Israelites, were mistreated because Pharaoh hated them. God was going to use him to help free the Israelites from slavery, but Moses did his own thing by killing that Egyptian guard. After escaping into the wilderness, he reached the land of Midian.

(Darren turns a Bible page. Jethro enters, followed by Moses and Zipporah.)

ZIPPORAH:
Father. This is Moses. The man I was telling you about.

JETHRO:
So, you are the Egyptian who saved my seven daughters from those ruthless shepherds?

MOSES:
Ah, well, I’m actually not an Egyptian. I’m an Israelite.

JETHRO:
Interesting. So why are you dressed as an Egyptian?

ZIPPORAH:
Dad! The point is – after those shepherds chased away all our sheep– Moses helped find and get all our sheep back– AND helped us give them all water. You don’t find men like THIS every day. And I intend to marry him.

JETHRO:
Oh, do you now. Well, I must say– he is not the worst choice that you have ever tried to make. So, Moses, what do you do for a living? I’ll just get right to it– how are you going to support my daughter, Zipporah? What sort of experiences do you have?

MOSES:
I, ah, well, I – went to school. For managing things, I guess. I guess I am looking for purpose. And work.

JETHRO:
You guess? Well, whatever that means, it looks like you know how to manage sheep, so you can work for me as a shepherd. Come, I will show you around.

(Jethro ushers Moses and Zipporah offstage. Darren turns a page. Moses enters wearing a robe and holding a staff.)

BROOK:
From a prince to being a shepherd! And – a love story?

DARREN:
Moses married Zipporah, and they had a son. And one day while Moses was shepherding a flock of sheep on a mountain side- a bush nearby started burning with fire but the bush did not burn up.

(Moses suddenly looks out but has to shield his eyes.)

BROOK:
That would be weird to see.

GOD’S VOICE:
Moses, Moses!

(Moses is very unsure as to how to react.)

MOSES:
Here I am.

DARREN:
It would be even weirder to hear God speak directly to you from a burning bush. Let’s go into God’s message to Moses.

(Darren turns a Bible page, and Moses humbly kneels and removes sandals.)

GOD’S VOICE:
I have seen the affliction of My people who are in Egypt, and have heard their cry because of their sufferings.

BROOK:
So God was STILL going to use Moses!

GOD’S VOICE:
Come now, and I will send you to Pharaoh, so that you may bring My people, the sons of Israel, out of Egypt.

MOSES:
But the Pharaoh wanted to have me killed.

GOD’S VOICE:
Go back to Egypt, for all the men who were seeking your life are dead.

MOSES:
But, who am I to do that?

GOD’S VOICE:
Certainly, I will be with you!

BROOK:
Wait a minute! Is Moses trying to argue with God?

DARREN:
(turning Bible page)
Why, yes, it does look that way.

MOSES:
But, my own people will question me. What am I supposed to tell them?

BROOK:
And he tried to give excuses.

DARREN:
(reading)
God reassures Moses that He will be with him, telling him exactly what to do and say.

MOSES:
What if they will not believe me or listen to what I say?

BROOK:
What’s with all the excuses?

DARREN:
I know I will keep making excuses just to get out of doing something. Anyway...

(Daren turns a Bible page, still reading.)

DARREN:
God showed Moses how to do a few miracles which would prove to the people that God’s power was with Moses.

MOSES:
Please, Lord, I am not fluent in Hebrew-

BROOK:
ANOTHER excuse!

DARREN:
(reading)
And Moses was even told that God would put the words in his mouth.

MOSES:
Please, Lord, why don’t You just send someone else with this message.

BROOK:
Oh-oh. God had been very patient until now. So, what does God tell Moses next?

DARREN:
God let Moses know that his brother Aaron would help him.

BROOK:
Whew! Finally Moses decided to obey. Now, what about his wife and family?

DARREN:
(reading)
Moses’s father-in-law agreed to let them go in peace.

BROOK:
In peace? Do you think there will be peace when Moses faces the new Pharaoh and asks that he let his slaves go?

DARREN:
God actually warned Moses that Pharaoh’s heart would be hardened, for a reason. But God was going to let Moses know everything he was supposed to say and do.

BROOK:
And so Moses was in perfect obedience?

(Darren turns Bible page. Moses rushes out, scared and in a lot of pain. Zipporah comes out after him, very angry.)

MOSES:
Ah! I’m dying. There’s so much pain. Why does it not go away? Make it stop!

(Moses carries on for a little longer, feeling better and better along the way, as the pain subsides.)

ZIPPORAH:
You should be okay now!?

MOSES:
(feeling relief)
What– what was wrong? What was that painful dread?

ZIPPORAH:
God was disciplining you! You disobeyed God - by not circumcising your son! So, I did what you were supposed to do. I just hope you learn how to trust God more.

(Zipporah turns to leave, but something catches her eye in the distance, then turns to Moses, not as angry now.)

ZIPPORAH:
Are you expecting anyone? I can see a man approaching – over there.

(Zipporah points. Moses looks off in the distance.)

MOSES:
That must be my brother, Aaron. God was going to send Aaron out to help me. Obviously, I need to do my part in things. And obviously I need to trust God more.

ZIPPORAH:
Well, we should go meet up with him, then.

(Moses and Zipporah exit in opposite directions.)


SCENE 3:

ENDING OPTION 3A:
(If using this as a stand-alone skit.)

DARREN:
(closing the Bible)
While God has a plan, He is so very patient with us!

BROOK:
(speaking as they exit)
I’m so glad God loves us that much to never give up on us!


ENDING OPTION 3B:
(If you are continuing on in the series.)

(Darren closes the Bible.)

DARREN:
While God has a plan, He is so very patient with us! Even when we keep messing up.

BROOK:
I cannot wait for next time to find out how things are going to go in Egypt. I’m just so thankful that God loves us that much to never give up on us!

(Brook comments as they exit.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 001: CREATION – by Tanis Harms, © 2012

Church Skits scripts for Time Travel Series by Tanis Harms

TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 016: JACOB DEALING WITH LABAN – by Tanis Harms, © 2012