TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 016: JACOB DEALING WITH LABAN – by Tanis Harms, © 2012

TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 016:
JACOB DEALING WITH LABAN – by Tanis Harms, © 2012
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com


(Ideal for a class going through the main Bible stories. For more, see Time Travel Bible Series menu page.)

STYLE:
Drama/fantasy. (8 pages)

PREMISE:
Brook and Darren imagine what it must have been like for Jacob as he had to deal with Laban.

TOPIC:
Consequences.

SCRIPTURE:
Genesis 28:10-31:55.

CHARACTERS (LINE COUNT) DESCRIPTION:
(15) BROOK – inquisitive girl
(14) DARREN – adventurous boy
( 9) JACOB –
( 5) RACHEL –
( 8) LABAN –
( 3) LEAH –

PROPS:
Bible (which can have script inside), baby doll, “mandrake” leaves, shepherd staff for Rachel (optional).

SCENE 1:

INTRO OPTION 1A:
(If using this as a stand-alone skit, or if you are starting the series at this point.)

(Darren stands holding a Bible, just staring at the book’s cover when Brook walks in and notices.)

BROOK:
Hey Darren... What are you doing?

DARREN:
Trying to read the Bible.

BROOK:
It helps if you open the book.

DARREN:
(sighing helplessly)
I’ve tried that. There are so many big words, and funny names, and-

BROOK:
I bet if it was a computer game, you’d be all into it.

DARREN:
Or just IMAGINE – if we could time travel back, and SEE the Bible stories as they happen!

BROOK:
So, why don’t we try that?!

(Darren holds the Bible while Brook opens it up. Both look at the Bible together, eyes wide and exited.)


INTRO OPTION 1B:
(If you are continuing on in the series.)

(Darren and Brook enter. Darren carries a Bible.)

BROOK:
Well, I cannot wait to find out what happens to Jacob.

DARREN:
Okay, then! Get ready for imagination time travel!

(Darren holds the Bible up, while Brook opens the Bible. They look with excitement, then look around, wondering.)


SCENE 2:

(Jacob enters and looks around.)

DARREN:
There’s Jacob. Remember, he took the blessing and the birthright away from his oldest twin brother, Esau; which made Esau angry enough to want to kill him. So, Isaac and Rebekah, sent Jacob away to stay with his uncle- Laban!

BROOK:
Not just to get away from Esau, but to find a wife! Yes! Another love story!

(Darren rolls his eyes and turns page. Jacob exits.)

DARREN:
Anyway, on his way, Jacob camped overnight and had a dream where God reminded him of the covenant to Abraham and Isaac.

BROOK:
Oh right, the promise that God would give their people the promised land, lots of descendants, and blessings. AND the big blessing for the entire earth. Meaning, years later, Jesus would be born through their descendants.

DARREN:
Exactly. And after that dream, Jacob called that place Bethel, and promised that the Lord would be his God if God protected and provided for him.

BROOK:
Huh! Jacob was trying to bargain with God? I mean, God ALWAYS keeps His promises! I guess Jacob still had to learn that.

(Jacob enters from one side. Rachel enters from another.)

BROOK:
That must be Rachel. She is very beautiful.

DARREN:
Jacob had continued his journey east, until he came to a field and he saw Rachel. She was the daughter of Laban, who was the brother of Jacob’s mother, Rebekah. When Jacob saw her, he helped her water the sheep. Then Rachel took him home to meet-

(After Jacob and Rachel exit, Laban enters. Then Jacob and Rachel re-enter.)

RACHEL:
Father! This is Jacob, your sister’s son!

(Laban hugs Jacob, then looks at him, sizing him up.)

LABAN:
Jacob? Yes, you do look just like your mother. Come in and welcome. You must stay with us.

JACOB:
And I will work for you to pay for my stay.

LABAN:
Now listen, you are family. You cannot work for nothing. Tell me how I should pay you. I do have two daughters: Rachel and Leah.

JACOB:
I want Rachel! I will work seven years so I can marry Rachel.

LABAN:
Deal!

(Jacob, Laban and Rahcel exit. Darren turns a Bible page.)

BROOK:
Seven years go by, and there is a wedding! Oh-oh. Trouble already?

(Laban enters, followed by an angry Jacob.)

JACOB:
Uncle Laban, what have you done?! I woke up and realized I married Leah and not Rachel!

LABAN:
But – Leah is my eldest. I cannot have the youngest get married before the oldest.

BROOK:
Wow, just like Jacob tricked Esau a few times, now Laban tricked Jacob. So, Jacob, how does it feel to get back some of your own medicine? But wait, how did Jacob not realize sooner that he had married Leah?

DARREN:
I guess the bride wore a veil, and it was dark?

LABAN:
If you work another seven years, you can marry Rachel.

JACOB:
Deal.

(Laban and Jacob exit. Rachel enters looking sad.)

BROOK:
God has never approved of having more than one wife. And we already know this means trouble.

(Darren turns a Bible page. Leah enters holding a baby.)

LEAH:
God knows that my husband loves my sister more than me, so God allowed me to have another baby. Maybe now Jacob will love me. I have given him four sons, already.

(Rachel hears this and stomps her foot. Jacob rushes in.)

RACHEL:
Jacob! Give me children, or else I will die!

JACOB:
Ahhh- I am not God! I do not control that!

(Rachel takes Jacob’s hand and drags him out. Leah watches suspiciously then exits. Darren turns page.)

DARREN:
Oh-oh. Rachel got an idea and had Jacob marry her maid, Bilah! Who then had a baby-

(Rachel enters with a baby, followed by Leah.)

RACHEL:
Ha! Now I have given Jacob two sons!

LEAH:
You mean, your maid has given Jacob two sons!

RACHEL:
Well, I’ve noticed that YOU stopped having babies.

LEAH:
Jacob! You will marry my maid, Zilpah!

(Jacob enters, fearful. Leah drags him out. Rachel exits.)

DARREN:
Leah’s maid gave Jacob two sons. Then Rachel made a deal with Leah. Leah could be with Jacob if Rachel got her mandrakes. People once believed that mandrakes could help a person have babies. But it was Leah who gave Jacob two more sons and a daughter.

BROOK:
(turning Bible page)
This is more of a crazy soap opera than a love story! And this whole family is just full of tricks and deals!

DARREN:
But, hold on, God then remembered Rachel, and-

(Rachel rushes in with a baby, followed by Leah.)

RACHEL:
I did it-I did it! I finally gave Jacob a son! Jacob will now love me even more! I will call him Joseph! Look-look, I did it!

BROOK:
Ah, God actually did that for her. So she should really be thanking God and giving Him all the credit.

(Rachel, then a sad Leah, exit. Jacob enters with Laban.)

JACOB:
Please, Laban, let me go back to my homeland with all my wives and children. It is now time that I provide for my own family.

LABAN:
But why not stay. I see that God has blessed me because of you. Just name your price.

BROOK:
How selfish. I feel a tricky deal coming on.

JACOB:
You do not have to give me anything. Except this, I will look after your flocks, but you will let me keep all the sheep and goats that are black, or speckled or spotted. Every perfect white one will be yours.

LABAN:
Deal!

(Jacob and Laban exit. Darren turns a Bible page.)

DARREN:
Laban knew that most of his sheep and goats were white, but Jacob had learned about selective breeding, so he could manipulate the kinds of babies the sheep and goats had. So, he got a much bigger, stronger, healthier flock, compared to Laban’s all-white flock. When Laban accused Jacob of stealing, God told Jacob to take his things and his family and leave. But there was something that actually had been stolen, so Laban and his men hunted them down.

(Jacob, Rachel and Leah enter to cross, followed by Laban.)

LABAN:
Jacob! Jacob! You left before I could say goodbye to my daughters! I could hurt you– but your God warned me in a dream to be nice. So I will. But why did you steal my gods?

JACOB:
I took nothing of yours. But- please- look- If you find anything of yours – take it back. And if one of my wives took them, then they should not live.

(Jacob watches as Laban exits.)

DARREN:
Jacob did not know that it was Rachel who took them.

BROOK:
And what exactly are household gods?

DARREN:
They were statue-like-idols. So, Laban searched but never found them because Rachel hid them under a blanket and sat on it.

BROOK:
So Rachel lied about having her monthlies. And why did she want fake idol-statue-gods anyway? We are not to worship any idols. We are to only worship God. And why not worship the real and living God?

(Laban re-enters emptyhanded and perplexed.)

DARREN:
Exactly. Like Jacob, who finally realized that everything he had was because of God. Now, when Laban couldn’t find anything and was ready to go back home, Laban and Jacob made a covenant to never hurt each other, and Jacob was never to take anymore wives.

JACOB:
Deal! Come, let us eat to that agreement.

(Jacob and Labon exit together.)

BROOK:
So, although Jacob suffered consequences for tricking his brother, Esau, God still looked after Jacob as promised.


SCENE 3:

ENDING OPTION 3A:
(If using this as a stand-alone skit.)

DARREN:
(closing the Bible)
While God has a plan, He is so very patient with us!

BROOK:
(speaking as they exit)
I’m so glad God loves us that much to never give up on us!


ENDING OPTION 3B:
(If you are continuing on in the series.)

DARREN:
(closing the Bible)
While God has a plan, He is so very patient with us!

BROOK:
It will be interesting to see if there are any further consequences. I guess we have to wait and see next time. I’m just so thankful that God loves us that much to never give up on us!

(Brook comments as they exit.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 001: CREATION – by Tanis Harms, © 2012

Church Skits scripts for Time Travel Series by Tanis Harms