TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 021: MOSES’ UPBRINGING – by Tanis Harms, © 2014

TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 021:
MOSES’ UPBRINGING – by Tanis Harms, © 2014
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com


(Ideal for a class going through the main Bible stories. For more, see Time Travel Bible Series menu page.)

STYLE:
Drama/fantasy. (8 pages)

PREMISE:
Brook and Darren imagine what it must have been like for Israelites at the time Moses was born.

TOPIC:
God’s purpose, being called.

SCRIPTURE:
Exodus 1:1-2:15.

CHARACTERS (LINE COUNT) DESCRIPTION:
( 9) BROOK – inquisitive girl
( 8) DARREN – adventurous boy
(10) MIRIAM –
(10) MOM –
( 4) MAID – Egyptian
( 7) PRINCESS - Pharaoh’s daughter

PROPS:
Bible (which can have script inside), basket, wrapped up baby-doll.


SCENE 1:

INTRO OPTION 1A:
(If using this as a stand-alone skit, or if you are starting the series at this point.)

(Darren stands holding a Bible, just staring at the book’s cover when Brook walks in and notices.)

BROOK:
Hey Darren... What are you doing?

DARREN:
Trying to read the Bible.

BROOK:
It helps if you open the book.

DARREN:
(signing helplessly)
I’ve tried that. There are so many big words, and funny names, and-

BROOK:
I bet if it was a computer game, you’d be all into it.

DARREN:
Or just IMAGINE – if we could time travel back, and SEE the Bible stories as they happen!

BROOK:
So, why don’t we try that?!

(Darren holds the Bible while Brook opens it up. Both look at the Bible together, eyes wide and exited.)


INTRO OPTION 1B:
(If you are continuing on in the series.)

(Darren and Brook enter. Darren carries a Bible.)

BROOK:
I’m so curious about how the Israelites are doing in Egypt.

DARREN:
Then, let’s get ready for imagination time travel!

(Darren holds the Bible up, while Brook opens the Bible. They look with excitement, then look around, wondering.)


SCENE 2:

(Miriam enters and pretends to make bricks out of mud.)

BROOK:
This is Egypt– but what happened? When Joseph brought his family here, they were all doing so well. But now– the Israelites are working like slaves. This girl is making bricks out of mud.

DARREN:
(referring to Bible)
Well, there was now– a new Pharaoh. And THIS Pharaoh had forgotten all about Joseph and what he had done for the country. And now, was very afraid of the Israelites because they had become very successful, and strong.

BROOK:
Oh, so he thought that maybe the Israelites would try to take over the country.

DARREN:
And now Pharaoh was trying to kill off the Israelites by making them work very hard. But– the harder he made them work, the more they multiplied in number.

(Mom enters carrying a baby, trying to hide the baby in her arms as best as she can. Coming up to Miriam, Mom crouches to the ground and pretends to work, pretending to make bricks out of mud. Miriam squats beside her and they talk in hushed tones.)

MIRIAM:
Mom, what’re you doing here with the baby?

MOM:
I fear for his life.
(gently shushing the baby before it cries)
Pharaoh found out that our midwives did NOT follow his command to kill all baby boys when they were being born.

MIRIAM:
Are the midwives in trouble now?

MOM:
When Pharaoh questioned them, the midwives told him that Hebrew women delivered babies very quickly- before they could even reach our homes.

(Mom wipes her eyes, trying not to cry, and then holds the baby a little tighter.)

MOM:
So now Pharaoh has given a new command: if an Israelite baby boy is found, they are to throw him into the river Nile. He’s 3 months old already. I do not think I can hide him much longer. So I– will put him in the river, myself.

MIRIAM:
What? Mom! Are you mad?

MOM:
Shhh. I am going to make a little– boat- I’ll take a basket and make it waterproof. And I’ll trust that God will protect my baby.

MIRIAM:
What if– what if I try to follow it? See where the basket goes? But, let’s go now, while no one is watching.

(Mom nods her agreement. Miriam looks around to see if the coast is clear then leads Mom out.)

BROOK:
That sounds risky. I don’t know if I could ever do that to my baby.

DARREN:
It’s better than having your baby killed.

(Darren turns a Bible page. Princess enters, excited. Maid then enters with basket, rocking it gently.)

BROOK:
Who is that?

DARREN:
The Pharoah’s daughter, and her maid, with the baby.

PRINCESS:
You got the basket out from the water safely? Let me see it. Let’s see if it’s okay. I know I heard a baby crying. WHY is it not crying anymore?

(Maid puts the basket down and picks up the baby. Princess takes the baby carefully into her arms to look.)

PRINCESS:
He- he seems okay. He was probably just scared. Oh, he is so adorable!
(kissing the baby)
I’m keeping him. And I will name him– MOSES! Because I drew him out of the water.

MAID:
Your majesty, if I may be so bold to say, this is a Hebrew baby. And - it is a boy. Your father will not be happy to know that you are saving the life of a Hebrew boy.

PRINCESS:
I am the Pharaoh’s daughter! And I am keeping him! I will raise him as my very own son. He is just so adorable, isn’t he?

MAID:
But he’ll soon be hungry and putting up a big fuss. Then what do you plan on doing? How will you feed and raise him?

(Princess cuddles and rocks the baby as Miriam sneaks up to Princess and Maid while they’ve been talking.)

MIRIAM:
Excuse me. Your majesty. I have an idea.

(Miriam quickly curtsies. Maid studies Miriam quickly.)

MAID
(speaking to Princess)
This woman is a Hebrew slave.

PRINCESS:
Let her talk. I would like to hear her idea, since I have none of my own.

MIRIAM:
I can find a nursemaid for you, from the Hebrew women, your majesty. Someone who could feed the baby for you! And take good care of him.

PRINCESS:
What a wonderful idea. Let me meet this woman. And let her know that I will pay her well to raise my baby until he is weaned.

(Miriam curtsies to Princess and dashes offstage. Princess coos to the baby as she and Maid exit slowly.)

BROOK:
Quick, what happens next?

(Darren turns a page of the Bible, and Mom enters carrying the baby and smiling down at it.)

BROOK:
So very cool. Not only did God save Moses from death, but his own mother was paid to look after her own child!?

MOM:
(talking sweetly to the baby)
You are meant for something great, my dear sweet baby. I am most sure of that. God has not only saved you, but blessed you greatly. When you are older, you will live in the palace with royalty. You will be a prince. And you will be able to talk with the Pharaoh. Perhaps in this way, God will use you to one day free our people.

(Mom kisses the baby’s forehead and exits.)

DARREN:
(referring to Bible)
Moses grows up in the palace, and becomes a man, and...

(When Darren turns a Bible page, Princess enters, followed by an anxious Maid.)

MAID:
Your majesty! Some terrible news! It is about Moses. As you know, he often goes to be among the Hebrew slaves, but now, apparently– Moses has killed an Egyptian guard.

PRINCESS:
What? That does not sound like my Moses. There must have been a good reason.

MAID:
They are saying that the guard was only beating a Hebrew slave. And then Moses- got angry, and- killed the guard. Well, somehow people knew about it and started talking. Anyway, the Pharaoh is so very angry, he was ordered Moses to be killed. Although Moses is nowhere to be found.

PRINCESS:
Perhaps he escaped. Oh! My son! I may never see him again. My dear sweet son! What will happen to him?!

(Princess rushes off to cry, and Maid rushes after. Mom enters and pretends to make bricks out of mud. Miriam rushes in.)

MIRIAM:
Mom! It’s about Moses!

MOM:
Did he speak to Pharaoh? Will we be set free?

MIRIAM:
Mom! Moses killed an Egyptian guard, and now Pharaoh has ordered him to be killed.

MOM:
Moses would not kill anyone. And, our people will help?

MIRIAM:
There was a witness. And our people are angry at Moses and want nothing to do with him. They just see him as a spoiled Egyptian prince.

MOM:
Where is he now?

MIRIAM:
Some say he ran off into the wilderness. If the Egyptians don’t catch up to him, do you think Moses will be able to survive in a wilderness all on his own?

MOM:
Why? How could he? He has ruined everything! He could have convinced Pharaoh to let us go. He could have helped set us free. Now what? We will be slaves forever.

(Mom starts crying and Miriam helps her exit.)

BROOK:
But, if God saved Moses from being killed as a baby, and if God wants to use Moses somehow– God can still do that! Right? But now how will God work out this mess?!


SCENE 3:

ENDING OPTION 3A:
(If using this as a stand-alone skit.)

DARREN:
(closing the Bible)
While God has a plan, even when we make a mess of things, God is so very patient with us, and He will always keep His promises!

BROOK:
(speaking as they exit)
I’m so glad God loves us that much to never give up on us!


ENDING OPTION 3B:
(If you are continuing on in the series.)

(Darren closes the Bible.)

DARREN:
While God has a plan, even when we make a mess of things, God is so very patient with us, and He will always keep His promises!

BROOK:
I guess we have to wait until next time to see how God is going to work things out. I’m just so thankful that God loves us that much to never give up on us!

(Brook comments as they exit.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 001: CREATION – by Tanis Harms, © 2012

Church Skits scripts for Time Travel Series by Tanis Harms

TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 016: JACOB DEALING WITH LABAN – by Tanis Harms, © 2012