TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 019: JOSEPH IN EGYPT – by Tanis Harms, © 2014
TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 019:
JOSEPH IN EGYPT – by Tanis Harms, © 2014
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com
(Ideal for a class going through the main Bible stories. For more, see Time Travel Bible Series menu page.)
STYLE:
Drama/fantasy. (7 pages)
PREMISE:
Brook and Darren imagine what it must have been like for Joseph to be separated from family and having to trust God.
TOPIC:
God’s purpose.
SCRIPTURE:
Genesis 39:1-41:57.
CHARACTERS (LINE COUNT) DESCRIPTION:
( 8) BROOK – inquisitive girl
( 6) DARREN – adventurous boy
(14) JOSEPH –
( 7) BAKER –
(13) CUPBEARER –
PROPS:
Bible (which can have script inside).
SCENE 1:
INTRO OPTION 1A:
(If using this as a stand-alone skit, or if you are starting the series at this point.)
(Darren stands holding a Bible, just staring at the book’s cover when Brook walks in and notices.)
BROOK:
Hey Darren... What are you doing?
DARREN:
Trying to read the Bible.
BROOK:
It helps if you open the book.
DARREN:
(signing helplessly)
I’ve tried that. There are so many big words, and funny names, and-
BROOK:
I bet if it was a computer game, you’d be all into it.
DARREN:
Or just IMAGINE – if we could time travel back, and SEE the Bible stories as they happen!
BROOK:
So, why don’t we try that?!
(Darren holds the Bible while Brook opens it up. Both look at the Bible together, eyes wide and exited.)
INTRO OPTION 1B:
(If you are continuing on in the series.)
(Darren and Brook enter. Darren carries a Bible.)
BROOK:
I’m super curious to know if Joseph is okay.
DARREN:
Me, too! So, get ready for imagination time travel!
(Darren holds the Bible up, while Brook opens the Bible. They look with excitement, then look around, wondering.)
SCENE 2:
(Baker and Cupbearer enter and pace the floor.)
BROOK:
It looks like we are in a prison. So, are the brothers all in jail for selling Joseph into slavery?
DARREN:
This is a prison, in Egypt, and here comes Joseph.
(Joseph enters.)
BROOK:
What happened? Why is Joseph in prison? That cannot be easy, being sold into slavery, being taken far away from home and family, and then wind up in prison!? Just how bad has it been for him over all these years?
(Joseph looks at Baker and Cupbearer.)
JOSEPH:
How are you two doing today?
BAKER:
How do you expect? Not good.
CUPBEARER:
And just why do YOU get to roam about the prison? Just who are you, anyway? You’re not from around here.
JOSEPH:
I’m Joseph. From the land of Canaan. My brothers wanted to kill me, but instead, sold me into slavery to some Midianites passing by. They in turn brought me here to Egypt where I was sold to Potiphar.
BAKER:
Potiphar? The Pharaoh’s officer? Captain of the bodyguard?
CUPBEARER:
So, he threw you into prison? What did you do?
JOSEPH:
I was promoted and successful in my work. It wasn’t long before I was made overseer of his house and everything he owned. It was soon after that, Potiphar’s wife - ah – she ah – wanted me. You know, and I knew that was big trouble so, of course, I said “no”. She got very angry and accused me of trying to hurt her. And so – here I am. At least the chief jailer lets me work and do things to help run the prison.
BAKER:
Well, we are both innocent, as well.
(Baker stands defensively, while Cupbearer sits down.)
CUPBEARER:
Somehow, we offended the Pharaoh. I am the Pharaoh’s chief cupbearer, and he is the chief baker. But it doesn’t matter much now, does it?
JOSEPH:
But, you seem extra sad today - and irritated! What is it?
BAKER:
Oh, well, we both had weird dreams last night, and no one around here has any idea what they might mean.
JOSEPH:
Well, I know that interpretations belong to God.
BAKER:
And you - know God?
JOSEPH:
Tell me your dreams... please.
(Cupbearer and Baker look at each other, curious. Cupbearer decides to start. Joseph sits down to listen.)
CUPBEARER:
In my dream, I saw a vine; and on the vine were three branches. As it was budding, its blossoms came out and produced ripe grapes. Now Pharaoh’s cup was in my hand; so I took the grapes and squeezed them into Pharaoh’s cup, and I put the cup into Pharaoh’s hand.
(Joseph finishes listening intently, then prays silently with his eyes shut. Then nods.)
JOSEPH:
This is the interpretation of it: the three branches are three days; so in three more days, Pharaoh will restore you to your office; and you will continue serving him. All that I ask is that you remember me and ask Pharaoh to get me out of prison, since I have done nothing wrong.
JOSEPH IN EGYPT – by Tanis Harms, © 2014
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com
(Ideal for a class going through the main Bible stories. For more, see Time Travel Bible Series menu page.)
STYLE:
Drama/fantasy. (7 pages)
PREMISE:
Brook and Darren imagine what it must have been like for Joseph to be separated from family and having to trust God.
TOPIC:
God’s purpose.
SCRIPTURE:
Genesis 39:1-41:57.
CHARACTERS (LINE COUNT) DESCRIPTION:
( 8) BROOK – inquisitive girl
( 6) DARREN – adventurous boy
(14) JOSEPH –
( 7) BAKER –
(13) CUPBEARER –
PROPS:
Bible (which can have script inside).
SCENE 1:
INTRO OPTION 1A:
(If using this as a stand-alone skit, or if you are starting the series at this point.)
(Darren stands holding a Bible, just staring at the book’s cover when Brook walks in and notices.)
BROOK:
Hey Darren... What are you doing?
DARREN:
Trying to read the Bible.
BROOK:
It helps if you open the book.
DARREN:
(signing helplessly)
I’ve tried that. There are so many big words, and funny names, and-
BROOK:
I bet if it was a computer game, you’d be all into it.
DARREN:
Or just IMAGINE – if we could time travel back, and SEE the Bible stories as they happen!
BROOK:
So, why don’t we try that?!
(Darren holds the Bible while Brook opens it up. Both look at the Bible together, eyes wide and exited.)
INTRO OPTION 1B:
(If you are continuing on in the series.)
(Darren and Brook enter. Darren carries a Bible.)
BROOK:
I’m super curious to know if Joseph is okay.
DARREN:
Me, too! So, get ready for imagination time travel!
(Darren holds the Bible up, while Brook opens the Bible. They look with excitement, then look around, wondering.)
SCENE 2:
(Baker and Cupbearer enter and pace the floor.)
BROOK:
It looks like we are in a prison. So, are the brothers all in jail for selling Joseph into slavery?
DARREN:
This is a prison, in Egypt, and here comes Joseph.
(Joseph enters.)
BROOK:
What happened? Why is Joseph in prison? That cannot be easy, being sold into slavery, being taken far away from home and family, and then wind up in prison!? Just how bad has it been for him over all these years?
(Joseph looks at Baker and Cupbearer.)
JOSEPH:
How are you two doing today?
BAKER:
How do you expect? Not good.
CUPBEARER:
And just why do YOU get to roam about the prison? Just who are you, anyway? You’re not from around here.
JOSEPH:
I’m Joseph. From the land of Canaan. My brothers wanted to kill me, but instead, sold me into slavery to some Midianites passing by. They in turn brought me here to Egypt where I was sold to Potiphar.
BAKER:
Potiphar? The Pharaoh’s officer? Captain of the bodyguard?
CUPBEARER:
So, he threw you into prison? What did you do?
JOSEPH:
I was promoted and successful in my work. It wasn’t long before I was made overseer of his house and everything he owned. It was soon after that, Potiphar’s wife - ah – she ah – wanted me. You know, and I knew that was big trouble so, of course, I said “no”. She got very angry and accused me of trying to hurt her. And so – here I am. At least the chief jailer lets me work and do things to help run the prison.
BAKER:
Well, we are both innocent, as well.
(Baker stands defensively, while Cupbearer sits down.)
CUPBEARER:
Somehow, we offended the Pharaoh. I am the Pharaoh’s chief cupbearer, and he is the chief baker. But it doesn’t matter much now, does it?
JOSEPH:
But, you seem extra sad today - and irritated! What is it?
BAKER:
Oh, well, we both had weird dreams last night, and no one around here has any idea what they might mean.
JOSEPH:
Well, I know that interpretations belong to God.
BAKER:
And you - know God?
JOSEPH:
Tell me your dreams... please.
(Cupbearer and Baker look at each other, curious. Cupbearer decides to start. Joseph sits down to listen.)
CUPBEARER:
In my dream, I saw a vine; and on the vine were three branches. As it was budding, its blossoms came out and produced ripe grapes. Now Pharaoh’s cup was in my hand; so I took the grapes and squeezed them into Pharaoh’s cup, and I put the cup into Pharaoh’s hand.
(Joseph finishes listening intently, then prays silently with his eyes shut. Then nods.)
JOSEPH:
This is the interpretation of it: the three branches are three days; so in three more days, Pharaoh will restore you to your office; and you will continue serving him. All that I ask is that you remember me and ask Pharaoh to get me out of prison, since I have done nothing wrong.
CUPBEARER:
Yes, of course I’ll do that. And thank you! This is such good news.
(Baker is now exited.)
BAKER:
Now do mine. In my dream, what I saw was - three baskets of bread and other baked goodies. I was carrying these baskets on my head, but there were birds eating out of the top basket.
JOSEPH:
Ah... Well... this is the interpretation of your dream: the three baskets are three days. In three days, unfortunately, Pharaoh will hang you on a tree, and the birds will - eat your flesh.
CUPBEARER:
Oh. Ah, sorry, man.
BAKER:
Maybe you’re wrong about the interpretation. Yes?
(Joseph sighs and exits. Baker and Cupbearer follow him out. Darren turns a Bible page.)
DARREN:
Joseph’s interpretations were not wrong. In three days, the cupbearer went back to work, but unfortunately the baker- was put to death.
BROOK:
But did the cupbearer remember Joseph?
DARREN:
No, not for two years-
BROOK:
Two more years in prison! Quick, let’s jump ahead to see what finally happens.
(Darren turns a page in the Bible. Cupbearer and Joseph enter.)
DARREN:
Joseph just met with Pharaoh. This must mean that he’s out of prison.
BROOK:
Finally!
CUPBEARER:
Sorry that I forgot about you. I mean, if you suggest anything to Pharaoh, you better be right! Or you’re in prison. Or dead. So, I thought my dream was weird, but it wasn’t until Pharoah had his crazy dreams, you know, you heard him explain his dreams... seven skinny cows eating seven fat cows? And then seven skinny corn ears eating seven fat corn ears? Weird! Anyway, none of Pharaoh’s magicians or wise men could tell him what it meant.
(spreading out his arms)
THEN I mentioned you, and that you could probably interpret it. So... could you? I do not want to end up back in prison. I just hope you could interpret his dreams.
JOSEPH:
As I told Pharaoh, I cannot interpret dreams - it is God who can do it.
CUPBEARER:
Well, did you? I mean, did God do it? What did they mean?
JOSEPH:
There will be seven good years for growing crops and raising cattle, then there will be seven years of extreme drought and worldwide famine.
CUPBEARER:
Oh... no. That’s not good.
JOSEPH:
It was good of God to give us a warning. I suggested to Pharaoh that we store up what we can during the next seven good years, so that we will survive.
CUPBEARER:
And what will happen to you now?
JOSEPH:
Since I also gave Pharaoh a few helpful suggestions about how to store, ration and guard our supplies, Pharaoh has put me in charge over the entire land of Egypt.
CUPBEARER:
Wow. Congratulations.
(bowing to Joseph)
You are now a very powerful young man. Only Pharaoh is more powerful than you are.
JOSEPH:
Even though I was almost killed, and I have been separated from my family, and have been in prison for many years, God has always looked after me. I am sure there is a reason for all of this which is much bigger than I can understand.
CUPBEARER:
Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help.
(Joseph nods and exits. Cupbearer bows again and follows.)
SCENE 3:
ENDING OPTION 3A:
(If using this as a stand-alone skit.)
DARREN:
(closing the Bible)
While God has a plan, even when things don’t seem to go our way, He will always take care of those who honor Him!
BROOK:
(speaking as they exit)
I’m so glad God loves us that much to never give up on us!
ENDING OPTION 3B:
(If you are continuing on in the series.)
(Darren closes the Bible.)
DARREN:
While God has a plan, even when things don’t seem to go our way, He will always take care of those who honor Him!
BROOK:
Maybe next time we will find out why Joseph was allowed to go through everything he did! I’m just so thankful that God loves us that much to never give up on us!
(Brook comments as they exit.)
Yes, of course I’ll do that. And thank you! This is such good news.
(Baker is now exited.)
BAKER:
Now do mine. In my dream, what I saw was - three baskets of bread and other baked goodies. I was carrying these baskets on my head, but there were birds eating out of the top basket.
JOSEPH:
Ah... Well... this is the interpretation of your dream: the three baskets are three days. In three days, unfortunately, Pharaoh will hang you on a tree, and the birds will - eat your flesh.
CUPBEARER:
Oh. Ah, sorry, man.
BAKER:
Maybe you’re wrong about the interpretation. Yes?
(Joseph sighs and exits. Baker and Cupbearer follow him out. Darren turns a Bible page.)
DARREN:
Joseph’s interpretations were not wrong. In three days, the cupbearer went back to work, but unfortunately the baker- was put to death.
BROOK:
But did the cupbearer remember Joseph?
DARREN:
No, not for two years-
BROOK:
Two more years in prison! Quick, let’s jump ahead to see what finally happens.
(Darren turns a page in the Bible. Cupbearer and Joseph enter.)
DARREN:
Joseph just met with Pharaoh. This must mean that he’s out of prison.
BROOK:
Finally!
CUPBEARER:
Sorry that I forgot about you. I mean, if you suggest anything to Pharaoh, you better be right! Or you’re in prison. Or dead. So, I thought my dream was weird, but it wasn’t until Pharoah had his crazy dreams, you know, you heard him explain his dreams... seven skinny cows eating seven fat cows? And then seven skinny corn ears eating seven fat corn ears? Weird! Anyway, none of Pharaoh’s magicians or wise men could tell him what it meant.
(spreading out his arms)
THEN I mentioned you, and that you could probably interpret it. So... could you? I do not want to end up back in prison. I just hope you could interpret his dreams.
JOSEPH:
As I told Pharaoh, I cannot interpret dreams - it is God who can do it.
CUPBEARER:
Well, did you? I mean, did God do it? What did they mean?
JOSEPH:
There will be seven good years for growing crops and raising cattle, then there will be seven years of extreme drought and worldwide famine.
CUPBEARER:
Oh... no. That’s not good.
JOSEPH:
It was good of God to give us a warning. I suggested to Pharaoh that we store up what we can during the next seven good years, so that we will survive.
CUPBEARER:
And what will happen to you now?
JOSEPH:
Since I also gave Pharaoh a few helpful suggestions about how to store, ration and guard our supplies, Pharaoh has put me in charge over the entire land of Egypt.
CUPBEARER:
Wow. Congratulations.
(bowing to Joseph)
You are now a very powerful young man. Only Pharaoh is more powerful than you are.
JOSEPH:
Even though I was almost killed, and I have been separated from my family, and have been in prison for many years, God has always looked after me. I am sure there is a reason for all of this which is much bigger than I can understand.
CUPBEARER:
Let me know if there’s anything I can do to help.
(Joseph nods and exits. Cupbearer bows again and follows.)
SCENE 3:
ENDING OPTION 3A:
(If using this as a stand-alone skit.)
DARREN:
(closing the Bible)
While God has a plan, even when things don’t seem to go our way, He will always take care of those who honor Him!
BROOK:
(speaking as they exit)
I’m so glad God loves us that much to never give up on us!
ENDING OPTION 3B:
(If you are continuing on in the series.)
(Darren closes the Bible.)
DARREN:
While God has a plan, even when things don’t seem to go our way, He will always take care of those who honor Him!
BROOK:
Maybe next time we will find out why Joseph was allowed to go through everything he did! I’m just so thankful that God loves us that much to never give up on us!
(Brook comments as they exit.)
Comments
Post a Comment