TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 017: JACOB & ESAU RECONCILE – by Tanis Harms, © 2012

TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 017:
JACOB & ESAU RECONCILE – by Tanis Harms, © 2012
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com


(Ideal for a class going through the main Bible stories. For more, see Time Travel Bible Series menu page.)

STYLE:
Drama/fantasy. (7 pages)

PREMISE:
Brook and Darren imagine what it must have been like for Jacob as he reconciles with Esau.

TOPIC:
Reconciliation.

SCRIPTURE:
Genesis 32:1-33:20.

CHARACTERS (LINE COUNT) DESCRIPTION:
( 9) BROOK – inquisitive girl
( 9) DARREN – adventurous boy
(10 ) JACOB –
( 8) MESSENGER –
( 4) ESAU –

PROPS:
Bible (which can have script inside).


SCENE 1:

INTRO OPTION 1A:
(If using this as a stand-alone skit, or if you are starting the series at this point.)

(Darren stands holding a Bible, just staring at the book’s cover when Brook walks in and notices.)

BROOK:
Hey Darren... What are you doing?

DARREN:
Trying to read the Bible.

BROOK:
It helps if you open the book.

DARREN:
(sighing helplessly)
I’ve tried that. There are so many big words, and funny names, and-

BROOK:
I bet if it was a computer game, you’d be all into it.

DARREN:
Or just IMAGINE – if we could time travel back, and SEE the Bible stories as they happen!

BROOK:
So, why don’t we try that?!

(Darren holds the Bible while Brook opens it up. Both look at the Bible together, eyes wide and exited.)


INTRO OPTION 1B:
(If you are continuing on in the series.)

(Darren and Brook enter. Darren carries a Bible.)

BROOK:
Last time, Jacob was on his way home! I’m wondering if Jacob is still afraid of his brother, Esau.

DARREN:
Me too. Well, get ready for imagination time travel!

(Darren holds the Bible up, while Brook opens the Bible. They look with excitement, then look around, wondering.)


SCENE 2:

(Jacob and Messenger enter and stop. Jacob looks offstage in the other direction, like he’s thinking. He also looks concerned.)

DARREN:
That is Jacob over there with some – servant - of some sort.

MESSENGER:
(speaking to Jacob)
Jacob, we ARE getting closer. Do you think your brother is still angry?

JACOB:
A lot of time has passed.

MESSENGER:
Still, you do remember what you all did to him-

JACOB:
I know. Stealing his birthright and his blessing from Father – that was very wrong of me! And I am very concerned.

MESSENGER:
What do you plan on doing?

JACOB:
I am going to send Esau a gift. I would like you to get that ready for me and then deliver that - with a message.

MESSENGER:
And what exactly is the gift?

JACOB:
I want to send him some oxen, and donkeys, and flocks of whatever we have. As well, include some male and female servants. Do think that’s enough?

MESSENGER:
That’s very generous of you.

JACOB:
Esau is probably still very angry with me. So, also give my brother this message - that - I hope to find favor in his sight.

MESSENGER:
I will get on that, immediately.

(Messenger exits in the opposite direction. Jacob paces.)

DARREN:
Well, I’m sure this will take a while.

BROOK:
So what happens next?

(Darren turns a page in the Bible, and Messenger returns, out of breath. Jacob looks at him.)

JACOB:
Well? Did you find him? Was he very angry?

MESSENGER:
(still panting)
We found him. He’s on his way. With- 400 men.

JACOB:
This could be revenge. He probably wants to hurt me and my family. Please, go - divide up my family and everything I own – into two groups. That way, if Esau attacks one group, the other group can escape.

(Messenger nods and rushes off the way they both first entered. Jacob paces again.)

BROOK:
That’s it? I can think of something else that would be way more helpful... oh. And that’s what I’m talking about.

(Jacob kneels and looks up in prayer, pleading.)

JACOB:
O Lord, my God, when I consider all the wrong that I have done - I am so unworthy of all Your lovingkindness and the faithfulness You have shown to me! But You told me to return to my country and to my relatives. And You said that I would prosper. But now my brother is coming to see me. I am afraid that he will attack! Please deliver me! I pray, please remember Your promise to me!

(Messenger enters again and Jacob notices.)

JACOB:
We need to get more gifts ready. Have my servants send them bit by bit so Esau will keep meeting up with them on his way here.

MESSENGER:
Okay, so what will the gifts be this time?

JACOB:
Ah, let’s see. First, start with... 200 female goats and 20 male goats, then send out 200 sheep and 20 rams, then 30 milking camels and their colts, and then - 40 cows and 10 bulls, and... fifth and finally, follow that up with 20 female donkeys and 10 male donkeys.

(Messenger nods and rushes offstage in opposite direction. Darren and Brook now watch as Jacob paces again.)

DARREN:
This could take a while.

BROOK:
I can’t take this any longer! Tell me what happens! Just - jump ahead!

(Darren turns a page. Jacob begins to pace with a limp.)

BROOK:
Why is Jacob now limping? Did his brother arrive and hurt him? What did we miss?

(Darren looks at the Bible to read quickly.)

DARREN:
Ah, well, after a night of wrestling with a mysterious man– which probably was God Himself in the form of a man- Jacob’s hip was put out place–

BROOK:
So Jacob was wrestling with some seriously huge spiritual being?

DARREN:
And Jacob was not going to give up until he was blessed. Which probably involved staying safe from his brother. God then told Jacob that his name would now be “Israel”- because he had fought with God and man - and prevailed.

BROOK:
Oh, so Jacob’s name is now Israel. So that is how the nation of Israel started. Okay, so now what? What about his brother?

(Jacob stops cold as Esau enters from opposite side.)

JACOB:
Esau.

(Esau rushes up to Jacob to hug.)

ESAU:
Jacob, my brother!

JACOB:
I was hoping the gifts would be enough.

(Esau pulls back but keeps his hands on Jacob’s shoulders.)

ESAU:
Jacob, I do not need your gifts.

JACOB:
No, really, I want you to keep them.

ESAU:
It is not necessary.

JACOB:
Esau, I insist. It is to find favor with you.

(Esau drops his arms from the hug, in question.)

JACOB:
If you keep the gifts, I will know that you have forgiven me.

(Esau gives Jacob another hug.)

ESAU:
Aw, I do forgive you, my brother. Thank you.

JACOB:
Come, I want you to meet my family.

(Jacob leads Esau offstage the way Jacob had entered.)

BROOK:
So that was a nice, positive ending.

(Darren quickly looks at what the Bible says.)

DARREN:
Yes. And Jacob bought some land, and they settled down in that area.


SCENE 3:

ENDING OPTION 3A:
(If using this as a stand-alone skit.)

DARREN:
(closing the Bible)
While God has a plan, He is so very patient with us! I hear that when things are going well, it is very easy to start taking God for granted.

BROOK:
(speaking as they exit)
I’m so glad God loves us that much to never give up on us!


ENDING OPTION 3B:
(If you are continuing on in the series.)

(Darren closes the Bible.)

DARREN:
While God has a plan, He is so very patient with us! I hear that when things are going well, it is very easy to start taking God for granted.

BROOK:
I just wonder if things will stay positive. I guess we’ll have to find out next week. I’m just so thankful that God loves us that much to never give up on us!

(Brook comments as they exit.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 001: CREATION – by Tanis Harms, © 2012

Church Skits scripts for Time Travel Series by Tanis Harms

TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 016: JACOB DEALING WITH LABAN – by Tanis Harms, © 2012