TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 015: JACOB & ESAU’S RIVALRY – by Tanis Harms, © 2012

TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 015:
JACOB & ESAU’S RIVALRY – by Tanis Harms, © 2012
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com


(Ideal for a class going through the main Bible stories. For more, see Time Travel Bible Series menu page.)

STYLE:
Drama/fantasy. (9 pages)

PREMISE:
Brook and Darren imagine what it must have been like in the sibling rivalry between Jacob and Esau.

TOPIC:
Favoritism and deception.

SCRIPTURE: 
 Genesis 25:21-28:9.

CHARACTERS (LINE COUNT) DESCRIPTION:
(11) BROOK – inquisitive girl
( 8) DARREN – adventurous boy
(11) ISAAC –
(10) REBEKAH –
( 9) ESAU –
(10) JACOB -

PROPS:
Bible (which can have script inside), 2 baby dolls, spear or bow, pot, spoon, 3 pieces of wooly fabric.



SCENE 1:

INTRO OPTION 1A:
(If using this as a stand-alone skit, or if you are starting the series at this point.)

(Darren stands holding a Bible, just staring at the book’s cover when Brook walks in and notices.)

BROOK:
Hey Darren... What are you doing?

DARREN:
Trying to read the Bible.

BROOK:
It helps if you open the book.

DARREN:
(sighing helplessly)
I’ve tried that. There are so many big words, and funny names, and-

BROOK:
I bet if it was a computer game, you’d be all into it.

DARREN:
Or just IMAGINE – if we could time travel back, and SEE the Bible stories as they happen!

BROOK:
So, why don’t we try that?!

(Darren holds the Bible while Brook opens it up. Both look at the Bible together, eyes wide and exited.)


INTRO OPTION 1B:
(If you are continuing on in the series.)

(Darren and Brook enter. Darren carries a Bible.)

BROOK:
Last time we saw Isaac and Rebekah working together in teamwork, which included listening to God. I’m super curious to see if their sons do the same thing.

DARREN:
We’re actually going to go back in time just a bit, in order review what had already happened.

BROOK:
Let’s go team-Isaac!

DARREN:
With that, let’s get ready for imagination time travel!

(Darren holds the Bible up, while Brook opens the Bible. They look with excitement, then look around, wondering.)


SCENE 2:

(Isaac and Rebekah enter, each holding a baby.)

BROOK:
Aw. Back to the babies’ birth day.

DARREN:
Abraham’s son Isaac was 40 years old when he married Rebekah. And just like Abraham and Sarah, they had to ask and trust God to provide children for them. Isaac was 60 when they had Esau and Jacob.

REBEKAH:
(cooing to both babies)
You both better get along when you grow up.

ISAAC:
Why do you say that?

REBEKAH:
When they were still in the womb, they were struggling with each other already. God spoke to me saying that I was carrying two nations, and that the older baby would serve the younger baby.

ISAAC:
Esau will serve Jacob? That cannot be right.

REBEKAH:
That is what God told me.
(cooing to baby)
Isn’t that right, my little Jacob?

ISAAC:
But Esau, here, is the oldest.

(Brook takes a closer look at baby Esau.)

BROOK:
What a hairy baby, Esau is!

(As Darren turns a page in the Bible, Isaac and Rebekah exit with the babies. Jacob and Esau enter as men. Esau carries a spear or bow.)

DARREN:
When the boys grew up, Esau became a skillful hunter, and a farmer.

ESAU:
(calling to those offstage)
I’m off to hunt, now. And I won’t be back for a long time.

DARREN:
So, Esau was Isaac’s favorite son. He WAS the eldest, after all.

(As Esau exits, Jacob eyes him jealously, then exits.)

BROOK:
I realize each child is different, but having favorites can only lead to jealously, fighting and trouble.

(Jacob enters with a pot and spoon. Setting it on the ground, Jacob begins to stir the “food” in the pot.)

DARREN:
Well, Jacob was Rebekah’s favorite. And Jacob was more of a stay-at-home kind of guy, and loved to cook.

(As Darren turns a Bible page, Esau enters, grasping his stomach – famished. Seeing the pot of “food,” Esau collapses beside it.)

JACOB:
You’re finally back from hunting.

ESAU:
Jacob, I’m famished! Please let me have a swallow of that red stuff there! Please!

(Jacob stands up to think, then crouches beside Esau.)

JACOB:
First - sell me your birthright.

ESAU:
I might as well, since I am about to die of starvation; so what use is the birthright to me THEN?

(Esau reaches for the spoon, but Jacob stops him.)

JACOB:
Ah! First swear to me!

ESAU:
All right! I swear– the birthright is yours.

BROOK:
Nooooo! That was such a hasty decision! And a really, really bad one.

(Jacob nods and motions toward the pot, which Esau grabs and hugs as he exits while “eating.” Rebekah enters.)

JACOB:
Mom, Esau just gave me the birthright for that pot of stew!

REBEKAH:
Nice work, my son.

(Rebekah and Jacob exit as Darren turns a Bible page. Esau and Isaac enter. Isaac is old and cannot see, so he hangs onto Esau’s arm, and feels that it is hairy. Rebekah sneaks in and stays in the back to eavesdrop.)

ISAAC:
I love you, Esau, but what have you done by marrying these women from the Hittites? The Canaanites are such evil people.

ESAU:
Sorry to disappoint you, yet again.

ISAAC:
I know you lost the birthright to Jacob, but... Listen, I am getting old, I am blind, and I will probably die soon. So, I want you to go hunting, then prepare my favorite dish. Bring it to me, and then I will bless you. Now, take me to my tent before you leave.

(Esau leads Isaac out. Rebekah drags Jacob in.)

REBEKAH:
Jacob! I just overheard your father asking Esau to hunt and prepare his favorite meal– and then he is going to give Esau the blessing.

JACOB:
But if I am to rule, according to the prophecy, then I should have the blessing.

REBEKAH:
Exactly! So here is the plan! Bring me the best goats from our flock, and I will make Isaac’s favorite meal. Then YOU will bring that to your father-

JACOB:
Just one problem! Dad is going to feel my arms and know that I’m not Esau. Dad might very well curse me instead.

REBEKAH:
Then your curse will be on me. Because- that’s just what a loving mother does!

BROOK:
A loving mother should not be encouraging her child to lie and be deceptive!

REBEKAH:
You will wear Esau’s clothes, and I will wrap sheep skin around your arms and neck. Then you will feel and smell like Esau. Now, let us hurry.

(Rebekah leads Jacob out.)

BROOK:
Oh! Rebekah is sounding more and more like her conniving brother, Laban. Remember him?! Seems like maybe he taught her a few sneaky tricks.

(Jacob leads Isaac out, while Isaac feels his arm.)

ISAAC:
Funny, you sound like Jacob, but your arm feels hairy, like Esau’s.

JACOB:
(quickly thinking)
Ah, perhaps your hearing is going, as well as your eyesight.

(As Jacob sets Isaac down gently, Rebekah quietly puts down the pot and spoon. Jacob then gives it to Isaac to eat.)

JACOB:
Here you go, Dad, your favorite meal. Please, eat it so you might bless me.

ISAAC:
But- how did you prepare this so quickly?

JACOB:
Ahhh, because the Lord your God caused it to happen to me.

(Jacob sits down beside Isaac, who feels the arm again, and then smells Jacob’s clothing, then Isaac put his hands on Jacob’s forehead.)

ISAAC:
Come here, so I might bless you. Now may God give you blessings from the earth. May peoples serve you, and nations bow down to you. Be master of your brothers, and may your mother’s sons bow down to you. Cursed be those who curse you, and blessed be those who bless you.”

JACOB:
Thank you, Father. I will let you rest now.

(Jacob exits with the pot and spoon.)

BROOK:
So not fair. And lying like that! Poor Esau!

(Esau enters with pot and spoon and sits beside Isaac.)

ESAU:
Father, I’m back with your favorite meal. Please, eat and then you may bless me.

ISAAC:
But- I just blessed you.
(feeling his arm and neck)
If you are Esau, then who did I just bless?

ESAU:
Jacob! It must have been Jacob! He has taken my birthright, and now my blessing! Father, have you NOT saved a blessing for me?

ISAAC:
No! It is done!

ESAU:
But, Father-

ISAAC:
I have already made him your master, and the inheritance is all his. All I can say for you- is- the earth will no longer bless you. You shall live by your sword, and you shall serve your brother. But as you become restless, you WILL break his yoke from your neck.

(Isaac exits, as Esau stands up, and paces angrily, speaking to himself, just before stomping offstage.)

ESAU:
As soon as father is dead, I will kill Jacob!

BROOK:
See! Favoritism leads to jealousy, rivalry, deception, and trouble! Well, Jacob may have gotten the blessing, but will there be any consequences?

(Rebekah leads Jacob in.)

REBEKAH:
I just overheard! Esau intends to kill you. Now, listen to me. You must escape to Haran. My brother, Laban, will take care of you. Stay with him until I send word that Esau’s anger has died down.

BROOK:
Ah! There you go! Consequences of their lying, cheating and stealing, and now Jacob has someone trying to kill him!

(Rebekah sees Isaac entering.)

REBEKAH:
Oh! Isaac! Jacob will be going to see my brother, Laban. Ahhh, because he needs to find himself a GOOD wife. Not like Esau who took from the Canaanites. Now let us go! Quickly! Please bless Jacob and send him safely away.

(Rebekah and Jacob quickly escort Isaac offstage.)

DARREN:
Isaac also reminded Jacob of the covenant that God made to Abraham and himself, and then sent Jacob on his way.


SCENE 3:

ENDING OPTION 3A:
(If using this as a stand-alone skit.)

DARREN:
(closing the Bible)
While God has a plan, He is so very patient with us! Even when we make huge mistakes, God always keeps His promises!

BROOK:
(speaking as they exit)
I’m so glad God loves us that much to never give up on us!


ENDING OPTION 3B:
(If you are continuing on in the series.)

(Darren closes the Bible.)

DARREN:
While God has a plan, He is so very patient with us! Even when we make huge mistakes, God always keeps His promises!

BROOK:
I’m just so thankful that God loves us that much to never give up on us! I guess we’ll find out next week if running for his life was Jacob’s only consequence to his trickery.

(Brook comments as they exit.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 001: CREATION – by Tanis Harms, © 2012

Church Skits scripts for Time Travel Series by Tanis Harms

TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 016: JACOB DEALING WITH LABAN – by Tanis Harms, © 2012