TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 014: ISAAC REPEATING HISTORY – by Tanis Harms, © 2013
TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 014:
ISAAC REPEATING HISTORY – by Tanis Harms, © 2013
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com
(Ideal for a class going through the main Bible stories. For more, see Time Travel Bible Series menu page.)
STYLE:
Drama/fantasy. (8 pages)
PREMISE:
Brook and Darren imagine what it must have been like for Isaac as he carried on his father Abraham’s legacy.
TOPIC:
Trusting God.
SCRIPTURE:
Genesis 25:19-26:33.
CHARACTERS (LINE COUNT) DESCRIPTION:
(16) BROOK – inquisitive girl
(11) DARREN – adventurous boy
(10) ISAAC –
( 5) REBEKAH –
( 5) ABIMELECH –
( 2)GOD’S VOICE –
PROPS:
Bible (which can have script inside), 2 baby dolls, crown.
SCENE 1:
INTRO OPTION 1A:
(If using this as a stand-alone skit, or if you are starting the series at this point.)
(Darren stands holding a Bible, just staring at the book’s cover when Brook walks in and notices.)
BROOK:
Hey Darren... What are you doing?
DARREN:
Trying to read the Bible.
BROOK:
It helps if you open the book.
(Darren sighs and looks helplessly at Brook.)
DARREN:
I’ve tried that. There are so many big words, and funny names, and-
BROOK:
I bet if it was a computer game, you’d be all into it.
DARREN:
Or just IMAGINE – if we could time travel back, and SEE the Bible stories as they happen!
BROOK:
So, why don’t we try that?!
(Darren holds the Bible while Brook opens it up. Both look at the Bible together, eyes wide and exited.)
INTRO OPTION 1B:
(If you are continuing on in the series.)
(Darren and Brook enter. Darren carries a Bible.)
BROOK:
Last time a wife was found for Isaac. So, I’m very curious how that’s going.
DARREN:
So, you’re ready? Let’s go imagination time travel!
(Darren holds the Bible up, while Brook opens the Bible. They look with excitement, then look around, wondering.)
SCENE 2:
(Isaac and Rebekah enter, each carrying a baby. Rebekah soon takes baby from Isaac and exits with both babies.)
BROOK:
Aw, they had twin baby boys.
DARREN:
Yeah-yeah, very nice. But right now, we’re not going to find out much about their sons, because...
(turning Bible page)
we are going to-
BROOK:
Where? Where are we now?
(Brook looks around like there was a sudden change in scenery.)
DARREN:
There was another famine, so God told Isaac to take the family to the land of Gerar. That sounds familiar because that was where his father Abraham had gone with Sarah, and they had a few issues with King Abimelech.
(Isaac looks around, then kneels in prayer.)
BROOK:
Oh. It’s good to see that Isaac trusted God, just like his father did.
GOD’S VOICE:
Isaac, do not go down to Egypt; but live in the land which I show you. I will be with you and bless you, and I will make the same promise to you that I made to your father Abraham. I will multiply your descendants as the stars of heaven, and will give your descendants all these lands; and by your descendants all the nations of the earth will be blessed; because Abraham obeyed Me.
BROOK:
I see. God made this same promise to Abraham, and because Isaac is his descendant, God is now giving Isaac the same promise.
(Rebekah enters, and Isaac stands up to talk with her.)
ISAAC:
Rebekah, I am afraid to call you my wife. Because you are so beautiful, the men here will probably want to kill me, so they can take you for themselves. So I think – we should just say that you’re my sister.
BROOK:
Ugh, he was off to such a good start, and now Isaac is lying just like his father! The exact same lie, too. Now, who is that?
(Abimelech enters. Afraid, Rebekah stands behind Isaac.)
DARREN:
King Abimelech, but not the same one. You know, just like the Egyptians called all their kings “Pharaoh” – the Philistines called all their kings – “Abimelech.”
BROOK:
They could have picked an easier name to say! But you are doing a really good job saying all these difficult names.
ABIMELECH:
Isaac, you’ve been living here a few years, and have said that this woman is your sister. But I have seen you two acting more like husband and wife. Why would you lie to us about that?
ISAAC:
I thought someone might kill me so that they could have her for a wife.
ABIMELECH:
But you put all my people in danger of doing something wrong.
BROOK:
Curious, if THIS King Abimelech would have heard the stories about what happened with the other King Abimelech when he took Sarah away from Abraham?
DARREN:
Most fathers like to pass on wisdom to their children.
BROOK:
Curious, if Abraham would have told Isaac about how he lied, saying his wife was a sister? And then told Isaac, “Do not do that.” But then, he did it anyway.
ISAAC:
I am truly sorry, King Abimelech. I know better, and I should have trusted my Lord God to protect me and my wife.
ABIMELECH:
Yes, we can see that your Lord God protects and looks after you and your household. And just to make sure that nothing bad happens to anyone here, I will make a law.
(announcing out to the congregation)
Anyone who touches - this man or his wife - will be put to death.
(Abimelech exits. Isaac begins pacing and thinking.)
REBEKAH:
Now what are we going to do?
BROOK:
Isaac should have trusted God with that in the first place.
DARREN:
God knows that we will make mistakes. That is why we need to be saved, and then we have God’s grace, so we cannot and will not ever lose our salvation.
BROOK:
And as God is our perfect heavenly Father – He gives us the best example to follow, and He teaches and gives us wisdom, truth and guidance.
ISAAC:
(finally has an idea and a plan)
Let us trust God to guide us in what we should do.
ABILMELECH:
(entering)
Isaac! One more thing! Your people have become way too powerful for us. We do not like that, and so, we want all of you to just move away.
(exiting)
REBEKAH:
And now what are we going to do, Isaac? God told us to live in the land of Gerar.
ISAAC:
We will just move away from the city, and into the Valley of Gerar.
(Isaac and Rebekah exit with a nod of agreement.)
BROOK:
This is good. Although even when we obey God, we will still run into issues.
DARREN:
Let’s see how God continues to bless Isaac – even when there are issues.
(Darren turns a Bible page. Isaac and Rebekah enter.)
REBEKAH:
Isaac, you seem frustrated. What’s wrong?
ISAAC:
I remember that my father Abraham had lived in this area and dug many wells. But after father died, and we moved away, the Philistines filled them up with dirt.
REBEKAH:
So? Just re-dig them!
ISAAC:
We have, but the Philistines either fill them back up with dirt again, or they argue that our wells belong to them. So, let us just move a little further away– one more time.
(Isaac and Rebekah exit. Darren turns a Bible page.)
BROOK:
This place looks familiar, too. Isn’t that the tamarisk tree that Abraham planted?
DARREN:
Yes! And this was where Abraham had made a covenant with the other King Abimelech.
(Isaac and Rebekah enter.)
REBEKAH:
So! We finally have a well, and there is no fighting?
ISAAC:
God has blessed us with lots of land, so there is plenty of room for us to be fruitful. I’m going to call this well – Rehoboth. I will build an altar and worship God here in the place my father called Beersheba.
(Isaac kneels in prayer. Rebekah nods and exits.)
GOD’S VOICE:
I am the God of your father Abraham; do not fear, for I am with you. I will bless you, and multiply your descendants, for the sake of My servant Abraham.
BROOK:
This is the exact same place where God spoke to Abraham. It’s awesome that God likes to remind us and reassure us of His promises.
DARREN:
And here comes King Abimelech again.
(Abimelech enters and Isaac stands up.)
ISAAC:
Why have you come to visit me, since you hate me and sent me away from your city?
ABIMELECH:
We can see that the Lord has been with you; so we would like to make an oath with you- a covenant– to make sure that there will always be peace between us.
ISAAC:
Of course. Come, we will have a feast, and in the morning, we will make the covenant.
(Isaac kindly motions for Abimelech to follow him out.)
BROOK:
So Isaac obeyed God, and God worked out all the issues.
DARREN:
And Isaac experienced peace while they lived in Beersheba.
SCENE 3:
ENDING OPTION 3A:
(If using this as a stand-alone skit.)
(Darren closes the Bible.)
DARREN:
While God has a plan, He is so very patient with us! Nice to see how Isaac followed his father’s good example of trusting God.
BROOK:
(speaking as they exit)
I’m so glad God loves us that much to never give up on us! Even though Isaac wasn’t perfect, he kept listening to God.
ENDING OPTION 3B:
(If you are continuing on in the series.)
(Darren closes the Bible.)
DARREN:
While God has a plan, He is so very patient with us! Nice to see how Isaac followed his father’s good example of trusting God.
BROOK:
I’m so glad God loves us that much to never give up on us! Even though Isaac wasn’t perfect, he kept listening to God. Hopefully next time we will find out if their two boys grew up wanting to listen to God.
(Brook comments as they exit.)
ISAAC REPEATING HISTORY – by Tanis Harms, © 2013
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com
(Ideal for a class going through the main Bible stories. For more, see Time Travel Bible Series menu page.)
STYLE:
Drama/fantasy. (8 pages)
PREMISE:
Brook and Darren imagine what it must have been like for Isaac as he carried on his father Abraham’s legacy.
TOPIC:
Trusting God.
SCRIPTURE:
Genesis 25:19-26:33.
CHARACTERS (LINE COUNT) DESCRIPTION:
(16) BROOK – inquisitive girl
(11) DARREN – adventurous boy
(10) ISAAC –
( 5) REBEKAH –
( 5) ABIMELECH –
( 2)GOD’S VOICE –
PROPS:
Bible (which can have script inside), 2 baby dolls, crown.
SCENE 1:
INTRO OPTION 1A:
(If using this as a stand-alone skit, or if you are starting the series at this point.)
(Darren stands holding a Bible, just staring at the book’s cover when Brook walks in and notices.)
BROOK:
Hey Darren... What are you doing?
DARREN:
Trying to read the Bible.
BROOK:
It helps if you open the book.
(Darren sighs and looks helplessly at Brook.)
DARREN:
I’ve tried that. There are so many big words, and funny names, and-
BROOK:
I bet if it was a computer game, you’d be all into it.
DARREN:
Or just IMAGINE – if we could time travel back, and SEE the Bible stories as they happen!
BROOK:
So, why don’t we try that?!
(Darren holds the Bible while Brook opens it up. Both look at the Bible together, eyes wide and exited.)
INTRO OPTION 1B:
(If you are continuing on in the series.)
(Darren and Brook enter. Darren carries a Bible.)
BROOK:
Last time a wife was found for Isaac. So, I’m very curious how that’s going.
DARREN:
So, you’re ready? Let’s go imagination time travel!
(Darren holds the Bible up, while Brook opens the Bible. They look with excitement, then look around, wondering.)
SCENE 2:
(Isaac and Rebekah enter, each carrying a baby. Rebekah soon takes baby from Isaac and exits with both babies.)
BROOK:
Aw, they had twin baby boys.
DARREN:
Yeah-yeah, very nice. But right now, we’re not going to find out much about their sons, because...
(turning Bible page)
we are going to-
BROOK:
Where? Where are we now?
(Brook looks around like there was a sudden change in scenery.)
DARREN:
There was another famine, so God told Isaac to take the family to the land of Gerar. That sounds familiar because that was where his father Abraham had gone with Sarah, and they had a few issues with King Abimelech.
(Isaac looks around, then kneels in prayer.)
BROOK:
Oh. It’s good to see that Isaac trusted God, just like his father did.
GOD’S VOICE:
Isaac, do not go down to Egypt; but live in the land which I show you. I will be with you and bless you, and I will make the same promise to you that I made to your father Abraham. I will multiply your descendants as the stars of heaven, and will give your descendants all these lands; and by your descendants all the nations of the earth will be blessed; because Abraham obeyed Me.
BROOK:
I see. God made this same promise to Abraham, and because Isaac is his descendant, God is now giving Isaac the same promise.
(Rebekah enters, and Isaac stands up to talk with her.)
ISAAC:
Rebekah, I am afraid to call you my wife. Because you are so beautiful, the men here will probably want to kill me, so they can take you for themselves. So I think – we should just say that you’re my sister.
BROOK:
Ugh, he was off to such a good start, and now Isaac is lying just like his father! The exact same lie, too. Now, who is that?
(Abimelech enters. Afraid, Rebekah stands behind Isaac.)
DARREN:
King Abimelech, but not the same one. You know, just like the Egyptians called all their kings “Pharaoh” – the Philistines called all their kings – “Abimelech.”
BROOK:
They could have picked an easier name to say! But you are doing a really good job saying all these difficult names.
ABIMELECH:
Isaac, you’ve been living here a few years, and have said that this woman is your sister. But I have seen you two acting more like husband and wife. Why would you lie to us about that?
ISAAC:
I thought someone might kill me so that they could have her for a wife.
ABIMELECH:
But you put all my people in danger of doing something wrong.
BROOK:
Curious, if THIS King Abimelech would have heard the stories about what happened with the other King Abimelech when he took Sarah away from Abraham?
DARREN:
Most fathers like to pass on wisdom to their children.
BROOK:
Curious, if Abraham would have told Isaac about how he lied, saying his wife was a sister? And then told Isaac, “Do not do that.” But then, he did it anyway.
ISAAC:
I am truly sorry, King Abimelech. I know better, and I should have trusted my Lord God to protect me and my wife.
ABIMELECH:
Yes, we can see that your Lord God protects and looks after you and your household. And just to make sure that nothing bad happens to anyone here, I will make a law.
(announcing out to the congregation)
Anyone who touches - this man or his wife - will be put to death.
(Abimelech exits. Isaac begins pacing and thinking.)
REBEKAH:
Now what are we going to do?
BROOK:
Isaac should have trusted God with that in the first place.
DARREN:
God knows that we will make mistakes. That is why we need to be saved, and then we have God’s grace, so we cannot and will not ever lose our salvation.
BROOK:
And as God is our perfect heavenly Father – He gives us the best example to follow, and He teaches and gives us wisdom, truth and guidance.
ISAAC:
(finally has an idea and a plan)
Let us trust God to guide us in what we should do.
ABILMELECH:
(entering)
Isaac! One more thing! Your people have become way too powerful for us. We do not like that, and so, we want all of you to just move away.
(exiting)
REBEKAH:
And now what are we going to do, Isaac? God told us to live in the land of Gerar.
ISAAC:
We will just move away from the city, and into the Valley of Gerar.
(Isaac and Rebekah exit with a nod of agreement.)
BROOK:
This is good. Although even when we obey God, we will still run into issues.
DARREN:
Let’s see how God continues to bless Isaac – even when there are issues.
(Darren turns a Bible page. Isaac and Rebekah enter.)
REBEKAH:
Isaac, you seem frustrated. What’s wrong?
ISAAC:
I remember that my father Abraham had lived in this area and dug many wells. But after father died, and we moved away, the Philistines filled them up with dirt.
REBEKAH:
So? Just re-dig them!
ISAAC:
We have, but the Philistines either fill them back up with dirt again, or they argue that our wells belong to them. So, let us just move a little further away– one more time.
(Isaac and Rebekah exit. Darren turns a Bible page.)
BROOK:
This place looks familiar, too. Isn’t that the tamarisk tree that Abraham planted?
DARREN:
Yes! And this was where Abraham had made a covenant with the other King Abimelech.
(Isaac and Rebekah enter.)
REBEKAH:
So! We finally have a well, and there is no fighting?
ISAAC:
God has blessed us with lots of land, so there is plenty of room for us to be fruitful. I’m going to call this well – Rehoboth. I will build an altar and worship God here in the place my father called Beersheba.
(Isaac kneels in prayer. Rebekah nods and exits.)
GOD’S VOICE:
I am the God of your father Abraham; do not fear, for I am with you. I will bless you, and multiply your descendants, for the sake of My servant Abraham.
BROOK:
This is the exact same place where God spoke to Abraham. It’s awesome that God likes to remind us and reassure us of His promises.
DARREN:
And here comes King Abimelech again.
(Abimelech enters and Isaac stands up.)
ISAAC:
Why have you come to visit me, since you hate me and sent me away from your city?
ABIMELECH:
We can see that the Lord has been with you; so we would like to make an oath with you- a covenant– to make sure that there will always be peace between us.
ISAAC:
Of course. Come, we will have a feast, and in the morning, we will make the covenant.
(Isaac kindly motions for Abimelech to follow him out.)
BROOK:
So Isaac obeyed God, and God worked out all the issues.
DARREN:
And Isaac experienced peace while they lived in Beersheba.
SCENE 3:
ENDING OPTION 3A:
(If using this as a stand-alone skit.)
(Darren closes the Bible.)
DARREN:
While God has a plan, He is so very patient with us! Nice to see how Isaac followed his father’s good example of trusting God.
BROOK:
(speaking as they exit)
I’m so glad God loves us that much to never give up on us! Even though Isaac wasn’t perfect, he kept listening to God.
ENDING OPTION 3B:
(If you are continuing on in the series.)
(Darren closes the Bible.)
DARREN:
While God has a plan, He is so very patient with us! Nice to see how Isaac followed his father’s good example of trusting God.
BROOK:
I’m so glad God loves us that much to never give up on us! Even though Isaac wasn’t perfect, he kept listening to God. Hopefully next time we will find out if their two boys grew up wanting to listen to God.
(Brook comments as they exit.)
Comments
Post a Comment