TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 013: FINDING ISAAC’S WIFE – by Tanis Harms, © 2013

TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 013:
FINDING ISAAC’S WIFE – by Tanis Harms, © 2013
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com


(Ideal for a class going through the main Bible stories. For more, see Time Travel Bible Series menu page.)

STYLE:
Drama/fantasy. (8 pages)

PREMISE:
Brook and Darren imagine what it must have been like for Abraham’s servant who had to find a wife for Isaac.

TOPIC:
Good qualities.

SCRIPTURE:
Genesis 24:1-25:18.

CHARACTERS (LINE COUNT) DESCRIPTION:
(11) BROOK – inquisitive girl
(10) DARREN – adventurous boy
( 6) ABRAHAM –
(12) ELIEZER –
( 4) REBEKAH –
( 7) LABAN –

PROPS:
Bible (which can have script inside) jar, sack, ring, 2 bracelets.

SCENE 1:

INTRO OPTION 1A:
(If using this as a stand-alone skit, or if you are starting the series at this point.)

(Darren stands holding a Bible, just staring at the book’s cover when Brook walks in and notices.)

BROOK:
Hey Darren... What are you doing?

DARREN:
Trying to read the Bible.

BROOK:
It helps if you open the book.

(Darren sighs and looks helplessly at Brook.)

DARREN:
I’ve tried that. There are so many big words, and funny names, and-

BROOK:
I bet if it was a computer game, you’d be all into it.

DARREN:
Or just IMAGINE – if we could time travel back, and SEE the Bible stories as they happen!

BROOK:
So, why don’t we try that?!

(Darren holds the Bible while Brook opens it up. Both look at the Bible together, eyes wide and exited.)


INTRO OPTION 1B:
(If you are continuing on in the series.)

(Darren and Brook enter. Darren carries a Bible.)

BROOK:
Last time we saw Isaac, he was a boy. I’m curious to see how old he is now. And hoping for another positive ending.

DARREN:
So, let’s get ready for imagination time travel!

(Darren holds the Bible up, while Brook opens the Bible. They look with excitement, then look around, wondering.)


SCENE 2:

(Abraham steps out.)

BROOK:
Huh, Abraham is starting to look a little old. But very happy, I must say.

DARREN:
God kept His promise of blessing Abraham, as Abraham had honored and obeyed God. Well, even though Abraham did make a few mistakes along the way, Abraham would always go back to trusting God.

(Eliezer enters and approaches Abraham.)

DARREN:
And that is Abraham’s oldest servant.

ABRAHAM:
Eliezer, I want you to find a wife for my son, Isaac.

BROOK:
Oh, yay! It’s a love-story.

(Darren rolls his eyes.)

ABRAHAM:
And I want you to swear by our Lord that she will NOT be a Canaanite.

BROOK:
Right, because those Canaanites did NOT honor or live for God.

ABRAHAM:
Go to my country and to my relatives, and find a wife there.

ELIEZER:
What if she does not want to leave her country? Should I take Isaac over there?

ABRAHAM:
DO NOT take my son back there! Because the Lord God brought me here and promised me THIS land was for me and my descendants.

ELIEZER:
I do not know how you expect me to do all of this.

ABRAHAM:
God will be there with you, and He will work this out for you.

ELIEZER:
All right. I promise to you that I will follow God’s will and your wishes.

ABRAHAM:
Take ten camels with you, as well as many gifts. You will need those.

(Eliezer nods a bow to Abraham and both exit.)

DARREN:
(turning Bible page)
The servant, Eliezer, went to the city of Nahor, in Mesopotamia.

(Eliezer enters carrying a sack and stands watching something offstage, then starts pacing, wondering.)

DARREN:
Eliezer made the camels kneel down by the well at the city outskirts. It was evening, the time when the women went out to get water.

BROOK:
I guess it was cooler at that time. Great way to stay in shape!

ELIEZER:
(thinking, then kneeling in prayer)
O Lord, God of my master Abraham, please give me success today, and show lovingkindness to my master Abraham. You can see that I’m at the water well, and the women are coming to draw water. Could you maybe work it out, that when I ask a young woman for a drink of water, she will not only give me a drink, but that she will also offer to give water to all these camels? Then I will know that this is the right woman for Isaac. Amen.

(Eliezer sees Rebekah entering with a big jar of water and quickly stands up.)

ELIEZER:
Excuse me, could I possibly have just a little drink from your water?

(Rebekah gives the jar to Eliezer to drink.)

REBEKAH:
Of course. Drink, my lord... and I will also give water to your camels.

(Rebekah takes the jar and exits quickly.)

ELIEZER:
(looking up to God)
Thank You, my Lord God!

BROOK:
That was a fast answer to prayer.

(Eliezer digs into his sack for a ring and 2 bracelets. Rebekah returns with the jar of water.)

ELIEZER:
Thank you. Ah, whose daughter are you?

REBEKAH:
I am Rebekah, the daughter of Bethuel, the son of Milcah, whom she bore to Nahor.

ELIEZER:
Nahor! That is Abraham’s brother! You are a distant relative to my master, Abraham. Please tell me, is there room to stay in your father’s house?

REBEKAH:
Yes, of course. We have plenty room for you to stay, as well as straw and feed for the camels.

(Eliezer gives Rebekah the ring and bracelets to put on, then falls to his knees to pray.)

ELIEZER:
Thank You, Lord most High! Blessed be the Lord, the God of my master Abraham!

(Eliezer follows Rebekah out. Then Laban enters.)

DARREN:
That there, is Rebekah’s brother, Laban.

(Rebekah enters, followed by Eliezer. Laban immediately sees the ring and bracelets and admires them.)

LABAN:
Wow, these would be worth a fortune! Ah... welcome here. Come in, blessed of the Lord! We will take good care of you and your camels. Come, let us wash your feet.

(Laban leads Eliezer out, followed by Rebekah.)

BROOK:
Ah, I’m already a little suspicious of Laban. I don’t want to judge, but he seems to be greedy.

(Laban enters, pulling Eliezer in to sit down.)

LABAN:
Come, sit, we will serve you a feast now.

ELIEZER:
I cannot eat until I have told you why I am here. I am Abraham’s servant. The Lord has greatly blessed my master, so that he has become very rich. And all that he has, he has given to his son, Isaac. I was sent here to find Isaac a wife. Now, my concern was that this woman would not want to leave her home – so I asked God to help find the right woman who will go to live with Isaac in his land, the land of Canaan. God made it obvious to me that Rebekah is the right woman for Isaac. So tell me now if you will honor the wishes of Abraham. If not, I can be on my way.

LABAN:
It seems to be God’s will. So you may take Rebekah and go, and let her be the wife of your master’s son.

(Laban balks as Eliezer bows in prayer.)

ELIEZER:
Thank You, most precious Lord God Almighty.
(speaking to Laban)
Yes, I have many gifts for Rebekah. As well, many precious gifts for you and your family.

LABAN:
How nice. Now come, you can give me the gifts - and we can then eat.

(Laban and Eliezer exit.)

BROOK:
I do not trust this Laban.

DARREN:
(turning Bible page)
The next morning, Eliezer was ready to leave with Rebekah.

(ELIEZER and REBEKAH enter, followed by LABAN.)

LABAN:
But we are not ready to see her go yet. Please let Rebekah stay a few more days. Like, ten days. And then she can go.

ELIEZER:
Please do not delay what I have to do. I must return to my master.

LABAN:
Hm well, let us ask Rebekah what she wishes.

(Laban shakes head slowly trying to influence Rebekah.)

REBEKAH:
Laban, I will go with this man.

(Laban grimaces, then quickly puts on a slimy smile.)

LABAN:
Oh, all right. We will miss you greatly. Your nurse and servants may go with you to make sure you are okay.
(speaking to Eliezer)
But first we will bless her, and say our goodbyes before you go.

(Laban leads Rebekah out, with Eliezer following.)

BROOK:
The servant really trusted God, and God answered all of his prayers, because Rebekah appeared to be very honorable.

DARREN:
Isaac and Rebekah were married, and they really loved each other.

BROOK:
So, it is a positive ending.

DARREN:
To this part of the story! Abraham had other children, and before dying, gave those other children gifts, and sent them to live in other places. The only son of Abraham and Sarah was Isaac- who got everything else. Abraham died at 175, and was buried with Sarah.


SCENE 3:

ENDING OPTION 3A:
(If using this as a stand-alone skit.)

DARREN:
(closing the Bible)
While God has a plan, He is so very patient with us and other people! God really helped the servant find the right woman for Isaac, even though that brother Laban was a bit of a trouble maker!

BROOK:
(speaking as they exit)
I just LOVE love-stories and positive endings! And I’m so thankful God loves us that much to never give up on us!


ENDING OPTION 3B:
(If you are continuing on in the series.)

DARREN:
(closing the Bible)
While God has a plan, He is so very patient with us and other people! God really helped the servant find the right woman for Isaac, even though that brother Laban was a bit of a trouble maker!

BROOK:
I just LOVE love-stories and positive endings! And I’m so excited to see what will happen next time!

(Brook comments as they exit.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 001: CREATION – by Tanis Harms, © 2012

Church Skits scripts for Time Travel Series by Tanis Harms

TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 016: JACOB DEALING WITH LABAN – by Tanis Harms, © 2012