TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 011: ABRAHAM AND ABIMELECH – by Tanis Harms, © 2012

TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 011:
ABRAHAM AND ABIMELECH – by Tanis Harms, © 2012
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com


(Ideal for a class going through the main Bible stories. For more, see Time Travel Bible Series menu page.)

STYLE:
Drama/fantasy. (7 pages)

PREMISE:
Brook and Darren imagine what it must have been like for Abraham as he dealt with Abimelech.

TOPIC:
Honesty, trusting God.

SCRIPTURE:
Genesis 20:1-18, 21:22-34.

CHARACTERS (LINE COUNT) DESCRIPTION:
(11) BROOK – inquisitive girl
( 9) DARREN – adventurous boy
( 9) ABRAHAM –
(11) ABIMELECH –
( 2) PHICOL –

PROPS:
Bible (which can have script inside), crown, sword, shield.


SCENE 1:

INTRO OPTION 1A:
(If using this as a stand-alone skit, or if you are starting the series at this point.)

(Darren stands holding a Bible, just staring at the book’s cover when Brook walks in and notices.)

BROOK:
Hey Darren... What are you doing?

DARREN:
Trying to read the Bible.

BROOK:
It helps if you open the book.

(Darren sighs and looks helplessly at Brook.)

DARREN:
I’ve tried that. There are so many big words, and funny names, and-

BROOK:
I bet if it was a computer game, you’d be all into it.

DARREN:
Or just IMAGINE – if we could time travel back, and SEE the Bible stories as they happen!

BROOK:
So, why don’t we try that?!

(Darren holds the Bible while Brook opens it up. Both look at the Bible together, eyes wide and exited.)


INTRO OPTION 1B:
(If you are continuing on in the series.)

(Darren and Brook enter. Darren carries a Bible.)

BROOK:
Last time Abraham pleaded with God to help spare Lot’s life, which saved Lot - again. But now I really want to see what ABRAHAM has been up to.

DARREN:
Well, let’s get ready for imagination time travel!

(Darren holds the Bible up, while Brook opens the Bible. They look with excitement, then look around, wondering.)


SCENE 2:

(As Abraham enters, he begins to pace and fret. Darren and Brook look around.)

BROOK:
Are we in a different place?

DARREN:
(looking into Bible)
Yeah, it says here that Abraham had moved to the area called Gerar.

BROOK:
Is this a bad place, because, Abraham looks a little upset with things.

(Abraham falls to his knees in prayer.)

ABRAHAM:
Oh Lord God Most High, please remember me! It has happened again. Please - help!

DARREN:
(looking into Bible)
Ohhh, because Abraham LIED - again - about his wife Sarah being his sister. So this time Abimelech, king of Gerar, came and took Sarah.

BROOK:
Why does Abraham keep thinking that he can handle things on his own- using a lie. Well, I wonder if God is going to help him anyway.

(King Abimelech enters and finds Abraham. Seeing Abimelech, Abraham gets up to his feet.)

ABIMELECH:
Abraham. What have you done to us? What have I ever done to hurt you, that you should treat me this way? You said that Sarah was your sister.

ABRAHAM:
I thought - because people here do not respect God, you would kill me in order to take my wife. And she is my sister – a HALF-sister.

BROOK:
That is still a lie.

ABIMELECH:
You lied to everyone. Now, understand - God told me in a dream who she was, and that I should not touch her. Your God certainly protected your wife for you.

BROOK:
See? Abraham did not have to lie. God would have somehow protected both of them.

ABRAHAM:
All we wanted was to live here in peace.

ABIMELECH:
Yes, well, I do not want your God to be angry with me. So I have brought your wife back. And I am giving you sheep and oxen, along with some servants. And – please- you may live anywhere you want on my land.

ABRAHAM:
Thank you.

ABIMELECH:
Listen, I did nothing wrong; but because of your actions, we have suffered. Now, as I have brought Sarah back to you, your God told me that - He saw my integrity, and that you are to pray for me.

(Abraham nods and Abimelech exits. Abraham kneels to pray.)

DARREN:
So Abraham prayed for King Abimelech, and God healed the king’s family and household from their suffering.

BROOK:
And so all was well between Abraham and king Abimelech?

DARREN:
Not quite, because – a year later...

(As Darren turns a page in the Bible, Abraham exits, and Abimelech enters with Phicol, a commander of his army.)

PHICOL:
Why do you need to speak with this Abraham? I am the commander of your army. Do you not trust in our strength?- You’re not afraid of this man, are you?

ABIMELECH:
(admitting)
I fear the God of Abraham.

PHICOL:
How much do you fear this God?

ABIMELECH:
Let’s just say, I’ve seen enough to know that I really want to get along with this man so his God will not punish me.

(Abraham enters.)

ABRAHAM:
King Abimelech.

ABIMELECH:
Abraham, I see God is with you in all that you do. And I have been kind and generous to you; so I want you to swear by your God that you will not deal falsely with me.

ABRAHAM:
I swear it.

ABIMELECH:
Good. That is all I needed to hear.

ABRAHAM:
Now King Abimelech, as we are on good terms, there are some issues we need to discuss. There is a water well that I have dug, but your servants took it from me, saying that I had no rights to use it.

ABIMELECH:
This is the first time I am hearing this. You should have told me sooner.

ABRAHAM:
Then, let us make a covenant. You will promise to tell your servants that I dug that well, so it is mine to use.

(Abraham and Abimelech exit. Phicol pretends to watch.)

DARREN:
Oh, they’re going to do that pathway-walking-between-animal-halves-covenant-thing, aren’t they?

BROOK:
Yes, the way they made contracts back then. If anyone goes back on their word, they are as good as dead. Very serious stuff. Oh, they’re finished, now.

(Abraham and Abimelech enter again.)

ABIMELECH:
Just why have you given me seven lambs? That is NOT usually part of a covenant.

ABRAHAM:
No. It is a gift from me to you, to prove that I really made that water well. I do not want you to think that I am lying or stole it from your household.

ABIMELECH:
Thank you. Let us leave now, Phicol.

(Phicol nods to Abraham and exits with Abilemech. Abraham exits in the other direction.)

DARREN:
Abraham called the area around the well Beersheba, because that was where they made the covenant. Later, Abraham planted a tamarisk tree there. Ah... why?

BROOK:
Tamarisk trees take a very long time to grow and they need nurturing. So it was a symbol, or a reminder, to Abraham’s descendants of the foundations established there at Beersheba.

DARREN:
And Abraham worshiped God in that spot, and lived in the land of the Philistines for many days.

BROOK:
So God does work things out for you when you decide to live honestly.


SCENE 3:

ENDING OPTION 3A:
(If using this as a stand-alone skit.)

DARREN:
(closing the Bible)
While God has a plan, He is so very patient with us! Even when we make mistakes or struggle to trust Him.

BROOK:
(speaking as they exit)
I’m so glad God loves us that much to never give up on us!


ENDING OPTION 3B:
(If you are continuing on in the series.)

(Darren closes the Bible.)

DARREN:
While God has a plan, He is so very patient with us! Even when we make mistakes or struggle to trust Him.

BROOK:
(speaking as they exit)
I’m so glad God loves us that much to never give up on us! And, ahhh, I really can’t wait to see Abraham and Sarah’s baby. Hopefully next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 001: CREATION – by Tanis Harms, © 2012

Church Skits scripts for Time Travel Series by Tanis Harms

TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 016: JACOB DEALING WITH LABAN – by Tanis Harms, © 2012