TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 010: ABRAHAM HELPING LOT AGAIN – by Tanis Harms, © 2012
TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 010:
ABRAHAM HELPING LOT AGAIN – by Tanis Harms, © 2012
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com
(Ideal for a class going through the main Bible stories. For more, see Time Travel Bible Series menu page.)
STYLE:
Drama/fantasy. (8 pages)
PREMISE:
Brook and Darren imagine what it must have been like for Lot to be saved from danger again.
TOPIC:
Judgment, compassion.
SCRIPTURE:
Genesis 18:16-19:38.
CHARACTERS (LINE COUNT) DESCRIPTION:
(12) BROOK – inquisitive girl
(12) DARREN – adventurous boy
( 3) “JESUS” -
( 4) ABRAHAM –
( 3) ANGEL 1 -
( 2) ANGEL 2 -
( 9) LOT –
( 4) MAN’S VOICE 1 –
( 3) MAN’S VOICE 2 –
PROPS:
Bible (which can have script inside).
SCENE 1:
INTRO OPTION 1A:
(If using this as a stand-alone skit, or if you are starting the series at this point.)
(Darren stands holding a Bible, just staring at the book’s cover when Brook walks in and notices.)
BROOK:
Hey Darren... What are you doing?
DARREN:
Trying to read the Bible.
BROOK:
It helps if you open the book.
(Darren sighs and looks helplessly at Brook.)
DARREN:
I’ve tried that. There are so many big words, and funny names, and-
BROOK:
I bet if it was a computer game, you’d be all into it.
DARREN:
Or just IMAGINE – if we could time travel back, and SEE the Bible stories as they happen!
BROOK:
So, why don’t we try that?!
(Darren holds the Bible while Brook opens it up. Both look at the Bible together, eyes wide and exited.)
INTRO OPTION 1B:
(If you are continuing on in the series.)
(Darren and Brook enter. Darren carries a Bible.)
BROOK:
The Lord, who is Jesus preincarnate, and the two angels just ate at Abraham and Sarah’s house, and were about to leave. Time to find out what Abraham and the Lord are going to talk about.
DARREN:
Get ready for imagination time travel!
(Darren holds the Bible up, while Brook opens the Bible. They look with excitement, then look around, wondering.)
SCENE 2:
(Abraham enters walking across the stage with Jesus and Angels 1-2. Darren refers to the Bible.)
DARREN:
The Bible says that when the Lord came to visit Abraham, He let Abraham know what was about to happen.
BROOK:
Sodom and Gomorrah had become so very wicked that the Lord was going to destroy both cities. And remember, Abraham’s nephew, Lot, lived in the city of Sodom.
(Jesus motions across stage and nods at Angels, who exit in that direction. Abraham watches, and then looks at Jesus.)
ABRAHAM:
Wait! You are going to destroy the city? Will You destroy the righteous along with the wicked? What- what if there are 50 righteous in the city? Shall not the Judge of all the earth deal justly?
JESUS:
If I find 50 righteous living in Sodom, I will spare the entire city.
BROOK:
Does Abraham think he’s really going to change God’s mind?
DARREN:
I don’t know. But obviously, God is still willing to listen to us, and lets us ask Him about things.
ABRAHAM:
Now, I have dared to speak to the Lord, although I am but dust and ashes. Suppose there are only 45 righteous. Will You still destroy the entire city?
JESUS:
I will not destroy it if there are 45.
ABRAHAM:
Well, what if there are only 40?
BROOK:
Is Abraham going to keep going with this?
DARREN:
He does. He ends with the number ten.
ABRAHAM:
May the Lord not be angry, and let me just ask this: suppose ten are found?
JESUS:
I will not destroy it if there are 10.
(Darren and Brook hold their breath as they wait. Abraham finally bows his thanks. As Jesus walks off, Abraham exits in the direction they entered. As he does, it is obvious Abraham is still nervous from the talk.)
DARREN:
Remember, Abraham had already helped save Lot once after Sodom was captured by that other king. And still, Lot decided to go back to Sodom, to live and raise his family in that very evil city.
(Lot enters at the side where the Angels exited. Angels now enter. Lot approaches them and bows his head to the ground. Darren watches this.)
BROOK:
Now why would Lot bow down to the angels? They are not God.
DARREN:
I guess Lot does not know the difference. And does he think he can protect the angels? Because Lot invited them to stay at his house and suggested they leave early the next day.
(Lot motions for the Angels too follow him.)
LOT:
This is NOT a safe place to be. I insist you stay at my house! Please come with me!
(Lot leads Angels out.)
BROOK:
I’m most certain the angels can take care of themselves.
(Lot enters again with Angels.)
LOT:
Welcome to my house.
(Men’s voices 1-2 start yelling out from offstage.)
MAN’S VOICE 1:
Lot! Where are those men who came into our city tonight? Bring them out to us!
LOT:
(calling out)
Please, my brothers, do not act wickedly.
MAN’S VOICE 2:
Lot, we have your house surrounded!
(Brook gets scared and puts a hand up to her mouth, while Lot still tries to reason with the men outside.)
LOT:
(yelling out)
Listen, I have two daughters. I can give them to you- Just do not hurt these men. They are my guests.
MAN’S VOICE 1:
Get ready, we’re about to break down your door.
MAN’S VOICE 2:
And once we break in, we will treat you the worst!
(Angels push Lot aside, then step offstage.)
BROOK:
What’s happening? What are the angels doing?
DARREN:
They just made all the evil men blind.
MAN’S VOICE 1:
Hey! What just happened?! I cannot see!
MAN’S VOICE 2:
What did you do to us?!
MAN’S VOICE 1:
We’ll get you yet, Lot! Just you wait!
(Angels come back in and face Lot.)
ANGEL 1:
Whom else is here? You need to bring your entire family out of the city.
LOT:
I cannot ask them to leave their home.
ANGEL 1:
The LORD has sent us to destroy the city.
LOT:
Ah, well... let me speak to my sons-in-law who are about to marry my daughters.
(Lot exits in the other direction.)
BROOK:
I wonder if they’ll listen?
DARREN:
Why would they not?
(Lot returns shaking his head and comments to Angels.)
LOT:
They think this is joke! There’s no way they will leave. This is the place they grew up. This is all they know.
ANGEL 1:
Then, take your wife and daughters or you will be swept away in the punishment of the city.
LOT:
I don’t know. This is also my wife’s home. And my daughters will certainly not want to leave their friends and future husbands-
(Angels grab Lot by his arms and usher him toward the other side as if getting his wife and daughters.)
ANGEL 2:
We will take you just outside the city, along with your wife and daughters, because the LORD has compassion on you. As you escape for your life - do not look behind you. Escape to the mountains, or you will be swept away.
LOT:
The mountains are too far for me. What about if I go to the small town of Zoar?
ANGEL 2:
Your request is granted but you must hurry!
(Lot exits on his own to that side, while Angels exit to the other side to take care of business.)
BROOK:
So what happened next?
(Darren studies the Bible as he speaks.)
DARREN:
Lot, his wife and his daughters made it to Zoar; but when the destruction fell on Sodom and Gomorrah, Lot’s wife looked back, and became a pillar of salt.
BROOK:
I guess her heart was not with God, but with the wickedness of the city.
DARREN:
And Lot and his daughters chose to live in a cave in the mountains. So, there were not ANY righteous people in Sodom! Yet God allowed Lot and his daughters to live.
BROOK:
Maybe at some point they decided to live for God. We may not understand why some things happen or do not happen, but God knows everything, so we can trust that God always does what is fair and right.
DARREN:
Well, that ends the story of Lot!
SCENE 3:
ENDING OPTION 3A:
(If using this as a stand-alone skit.)
(Darren closes the Bible.)
DARREN:
While God has a plan, He is so very patient with us, even when we don’t fully understand why something is happening!
BROOK:
(speaking as they exit)
I’m so glad God loves us that much to never give up on us!
ENDING OPTION 3B:
(If you are continuing on in the series.)
(Darren closes the Bible.)
DARREN:
While God has a plan, He is so very patient with us, even when we don’t fully understand why something is happening!
BROOK:
I’m just so thankful that God loves us that much to never give up on us! I wonder what we will see next time?
(Brook comments as they exit.)
ABRAHAM HELPING LOT AGAIN – by Tanis Harms, © 2012
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com
(Ideal for a class going through the main Bible stories. For more, see Time Travel Bible Series menu page.)
STYLE:
Drama/fantasy. (8 pages)
PREMISE:
Brook and Darren imagine what it must have been like for Lot to be saved from danger again.
TOPIC:
Judgment, compassion.
SCRIPTURE:
Genesis 18:16-19:38.
CHARACTERS (LINE COUNT) DESCRIPTION:
(12) BROOK – inquisitive girl
(12) DARREN – adventurous boy
( 3) “JESUS” -
( 4) ABRAHAM –
( 3) ANGEL 1 -
( 2) ANGEL 2 -
( 9) LOT –
( 4) MAN’S VOICE 1 –
( 3) MAN’S VOICE 2 –
PROPS:
Bible (which can have script inside).
SCENE 1:
INTRO OPTION 1A:
(If using this as a stand-alone skit, or if you are starting the series at this point.)
(Darren stands holding a Bible, just staring at the book’s cover when Brook walks in and notices.)
BROOK:
Hey Darren... What are you doing?
DARREN:
Trying to read the Bible.
BROOK:
It helps if you open the book.
(Darren sighs and looks helplessly at Brook.)
DARREN:
I’ve tried that. There are so many big words, and funny names, and-
BROOK:
I bet if it was a computer game, you’d be all into it.
DARREN:
Or just IMAGINE – if we could time travel back, and SEE the Bible stories as they happen!
BROOK:
So, why don’t we try that?!
(Darren holds the Bible while Brook opens it up. Both look at the Bible together, eyes wide and exited.)
INTRO OPTION 1B:
(If you are continuing on in the series.)
(Darren and Brook enter. Darren carries a Bible.)
BROOK:
The Lord, who is Jesus preincarnate, and the two angels just ate at Abraham and Sarah’s house, and were about to leave. Time to find out what Abraham and the Lord are going to talk about.
DARREN:
Get ready for imagination time travel!
(Darren holds the Bible up, while Brook opens the Bible. They look with excitement, then look around, wondering.)
SCENE 2:
(Abraham enters walking across the stage with Jesus and Angels 1-2. Darren refers to the Bible.)
DARREN:
The Bible says that when the Lord came to visit Abraham, He let Abraham know what was about to happen.
BROOK:
Sodom and Gomorrah had become so very wicked that the Lord was going to destroy both cities. And remember, Abraham’s nephew, Lot, lived in the city of Sodom.
(Jesus motions across stage and nods at Angels, who exit in that direction. Abraham watches, and then looks at Jesus.)
ABRAHAM:
Wait! You are going to destroy the city? Will You destroy the righteous along with the wicked? What- what if there are 50 righteous in the city? Shall not the Judge of all the earth deal justly?
JESUS:
If I find 50 righteous living in Sodom, I will spare the entire city.
BROOK:
Does Abraham think he’s really going to change God’s mind?
DARREN:
I don’t know. But obviously, God is still willing to listen to us, and lets us ask Him about things.
ABRAHAM:
Now, I have dared to speak to the Lord, although I am but dust and ashes. Suppose there are only 45 righteous. Will You still destroy the entire city?
JESUS:
I will not destroy it if there are 45.
ABRAHAM:
Well, what if there are only 40?
BROOK:
Is Abraham going to keep going with this?
DARREN:
He does. He ends with the number ten.
ABRAHAM:
May the Lord not be angry, and let me just ask this: suppose ten are found?
JESUS:
I will not destroy it if there are 10.
(Darren and Brook hold their breath as they wait. Abraham finally bows his thanks. As Jesus walks off, Abraham exits in the direction they entered. As he does, it is obvious Abraham is still nervous from the talk.)
DARREN:
Remember, Abraham had already helped save Lot once after Sodom was captured by that other king. And still, Lot decided to go back to Sodom, to live and raise his family in that very evil city.
(Lot enters at the side where the Angels exited. Angels now enter. Lot approaches them and bows his head to the ground. Darren watches this.)
BROOK:
Now why would Lot bow down to the angels? They are not God.
DARREN:
I guess Lot does not know the difference. And does he think he can protect the angels? Because Lot invited them to stay at his house and suggested they leave early the next day.
(Lot motions for the Angels too follow him.)
LOT:
This is NOT a safe place to be. I insist you stay at my house! Please come with me!
(Lot leads Angels out.)
BROOK:
I’m most certain the angels can take care of themselves.
(Lot enters again with Angels.)
LOT:
Welcome to my house.
(Men’s voices 1-2 start yelling out from offstage.)
MAN’S VOICE 1:
Lot! Where are those men who came into our city tonight? Bring them out to us!
LOT:
(calling out)
Please, my brothers, do not act wickedly.
MAN’S VOICE 2:
Lot, we have your house surrounded!
(Brook gets scared and puts a hand up to her mouth, while Lot still tries to reason with the men outside.)
LOT:
(yelling out)
Listen, I have two daughters. I can give them to you- Just do not hurt these men. They are my guests.
MAN’S VOICE 1:
Get ready, we’re about to break down your door.
MAN’S VOICE 2:
And once we break in, we will treat you the worst!
(Angels push Lot aside, then step offstage.)
BROOK:
What’s happening? What are the angels doing?
DARREN:
They just made all the evil men blind.
MAN’S VOICE 1:
Hey! What just happened?! I cannot see!
MAN’S VOICE 2:
What did you do to us?!
MAN’S VOICE 1:
We’ll get you yet, Lot! Just you wait!
(Angels come back in and face Lot.)
ANGEL 1:
Whom else is here? You need to bring your entire family out of the city.
LOT:
I cannot ask them to leave their home.
ANGEL 1:
The LORD has sent us to destroy the city.
LOT:
Ah, well... let me speak to my sons-in-law who are about to marry my daughters.
(Lot exits in the other direction.)
BROOK:
I wonder if they’ll listen?
DARREN:
Why would they not?
(Lot returns shaking his head and comments to Angels.)
LOT:
They think this is joke! There’s no way they will leave. This is the place they grew up. This is all they know.
ANGEL 1:
Then, take your wife and daughters or you will be swept away in the punishment of the city.
LOT:
I don’t know. This is also my wife’s home. And my daughters will certainly not want to leave their friends and future husbands-
(Angels grab Lot by his arms and usher him toward the other side as if getting his wife and daughters.)
ANGEL 2:
We will take you just outside the city, along with your wife and daughters, because the LORD has compassion on you. As you escape for your life - do not look behind you. Escape to the mountains, or you will be swept away.
LOT:
The mountains are too far for me. What about if I go to the small town of Zoar?
ANGEL 2:
Your request is granted but you must hurry!
(Lot exits on his own to that side, while Angels exit to the other side to take care of business.)
BROOK:
So what happened next?
(Darren studies the Bible as he speaks.)
DARREN:
Lot, his wife and his daughters made it to Zoar; but when the destruction fell on Sodom and Gomorrah, Lot’s wife looked back, and became a pillar of salt.
BROOK:
I guess her heart was not with God, but with the wickedness of the city.
DARREN:
And Lot and his daughters chose to live in a cave in the mountains. So, there were not ANY righteous people in Sodom! Yet God allowed Lot and his daughters to live.
BROOK:
Maybe at some point they decided to live for God. We may not understand why some things happen or do not happen, but God knows everything, so we can trust that God always does what is fair and right.
DARREN:
Well, that ends the story of Lot!
SCENE 3:
ENDING OPTION 3A:
(If using this as a stand-alone skit.)
(Darren closes the Bible.)
DARREN:
While God has a plan, He is so very patient with us, even when we don’t fully understand why something is happening!
BROOK:
(speaking as they exit)
I’m so glad God loves us that much to never give up on us!
ENDING OPTION 3B:
(If you are continuing on in the series.)
(Darren closes the Bible.)
DARREN:
While God has a plan, He is so very patient with us, even when we don’t fully understand why something is happening!
BROOK:
I’m just so thankful that God loves us that much to never give up on us! I wonder what we will see next time?
(Brook comments as they exit.)
Comments
Post a Comment