TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 009: ABRAM’S NAME CHANGE – by Tanis Harms, © 2012

TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 009:
ABRAM’S NAME CHANGE – by Tanis Harms, © 2012
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com


(Ideal for a class going through the main Bible stories. For more, see Time Travel Bible Series menu page.)

STYLE:
Drama/fantasy. (8 pages)

PREMISE:
Brook and Darren imagine what it must have been like for Abram as God renamed him and promised him a son.

TOPIC:
Trust.

SCRIPTURE:
Genesis 16:1-18:15.

CHARACTERS (LINE COUNT) DESCRIPTION:
(12) BROOK – inquisitive girl
(12) DARREN – adventurous boy
(12) ABRAHAM –
( 7) SARAH –
( 0) SERVANT –
( 4) GOD’S VOICE – can be the same person as “Jesus”
( 6) “JESUS” –
( 0) ANGEL 1 –
( 0) ANGEL 2 –

PROPS:
Bible (which can have script inside), basin, towel, food, divider between “tent” and “outside”



SCENE 1:

INTRO OPTION 1A:
(If using this as a stand-alone skit, or if you are starting the series at this point.)

(Darren stands holding a Bible, just staring at the book’s cover when Brook walks in and notices.)

BROOK:
Hey Darren... What are you doing?

DARREN:
Trying to read the Bible.

BROOK:
It helps if you open the book.

(Darren sighs and looks helplessly at Brook.)

DARREN:
I’ve tried that. There are so many big words, and funny names, and-

BROOK:
I bet if it was a computer game, you’d be all into it.

DARREN:
Or just IMAGINE – if we could time travel back, and SEE the Bible stories as they happen!

BROOK:
So, why don’t we try that?!

(Darren holds the Bible while Brook opens it up. Both look at the Bible together, eyes wide and exited.)


INTRO OPTION 1B:
(If you are continuing on in the series.)

(Darren and Brook enter. Darren carries a Bible.)

BROOK:
Last time we learned what was Abram’s reward. But we also found out that in order to enjoy the reward, Abram needed to obey God.

DARREN:
And now to find out what happens next! Get ready for imagination time travel!

(Darren holds the Bible up, while Brook opens the Bible. They look with excitement, then look around, wondering.)


SCENE 2:

(Abram enters to the outside and kneels.)

BROOK:
It’s nice to see that Abram did a lot of praying and talking with God.

ABRAM:
Lord God Most High! I am now 99 years old, and Sarai is almost 90. You promised us a son, but we grew tired of waiting, and we took matters into our own hands, but now there are problems.

(Abram bows low, weeping silently with remorse.)

BROOK:
Oh-oh. What did they do?

DARREN:
Desperate to have children, they came up with their own plan. Abram married one of Sarai’s Egyptian maids, Hagar.

BROOK:
It HAD been ten years since God promised them children. But THAT- is still wrong. They should have trusted God and waited for His perfect timing.

DARREN:
Ha ha, like you are that patient. Anyway, Abram had a son through Hagar, and Sarai quickly realized that it was a big mistake to have done this.

BROOK:
I’ll say. God created us to have only one spouse. It is complicated enough when there’s just one husband and one wife. I have eyes, you know. And I hope I always keep patiently looking to God for His help.

(Abram looks up to listen to God with hope.)

GOD’S VOICE:
I am God Almighty; walk before Me, and be blameless. I will establish My covenant between Me and you... and all your descendants. I will give the promised land to you for an everlasting possession.

DARREN:
God is reminding Abram of the covenant.

(Abram falls to his face now in prayer and worship.)

GOD’S VOICE:
Your name will no longer be Abram, but your name will now be Abraham, because I have made you the father of a multitude of nations. Kings will come from you.

BROOK:
Oo! That would include Jesus – the King of kings!

(Abraham sits up to listen to God now.)

GOD’S VOICE:
Your wife will no longer be named Sarai, but her name will now be Sarah, because I will give you a son by her. I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of nations; kings of peoples will come from her.

(Abraham falls on his face, laughing.)

ABRAHAM:
But I am 100 years old, and Sarah is 90. And we will have a baby? Maybe Ishmael, my son from Hagar, is good enough.

(Abraham becomes serious again.)

GOD’S VOICE:
No, Sarah your wife will bear you a son, and you shall call his name Isaac; and I will establish My everlasting covenant with him and with his descendants. You will have Isaac this time next year.

(Abraham gets up and exits.)

DARREN:
Abraham then obeyed God’s commandment to have all males in his household circumcised, as a physical and personal sign of the covenant to his people.

BROOK:
Did Abraham tell Sarah about having a baby?

DARREN:
We do not know. But look over there!

(Abraham enters stage right and sits down, “just outside the tent”. Jesus and Angels 1-2 enter stage left and approach Abraham. Noticing them, Abraham quickly gets up and falls at Jesus’ feet.)

ABRAHAM:
My Lord, if I have found favor in Your sight, please stay to rest- I will serve you some bread-

(Jesus smiles and nods. Abraham motions for Jesus and Angels to sit, while he exits into the tent. There Servant appears in the tent with a bow.)

ABRAHAM:
Servant! Please wash the feet of our visitors... Sarah! Sarah!

(Servant bows and exits. Sarah enters the tent.)

SARAH:
What? What is it? You are making such a noise.

ABRAHAM:
Our Lord has come to visit! There’s no time to explain. While I slaughter a choice calf and prepare it, you- quickly– prepare– bread cakes. Take 3 measures of fine flour-

SARAH:
You’re suddenly the expert at making bread cakes?

ABRAHAM:
Listen, take 3 measures of fine flour-

SARAH:
No need to tell me how to make bread cakes.

ABRAHAM:
-Knead it- and make bread cakes.

SARAH:
I know how to make bread cakes!

ABRAHAM:
Hurry. This is very important.

(Abraham ushers Sarah to exit. Servant enters the outside” with basin and towel to wash the feet of Jesus and Angels, while Brook and Darren talk.)

DARREN:
What’s with the foot bath?

BROOK:
They did this for guests, because they wore sandals in those days, and their feet would be all dusty and dirty from walking. So did I understand that correctly? That man over there would be – Jesus?

DARREN:
Yes. Well, kind of. The Bible says that the “Lord” appeared to Abraham.

BROOK:
So He is God who visited in the form of man. Later He would be born in flesh, and then have the name Jesus.

DARREN:
And obviously Abraham recognized the Lord. And the other two - are angels – also in the form of men.

(Servant bows then exits completely. Abraham rushes out with a platter of food to set before Jesus and Angels.)

ABRAHAM:
Curds and milk, and a calf-

(Jesus and Angels bow in a prayer of thanks. Then Jesus smiles as they begin to eat. Abraham stands aside, anxious that they enjoy the food. Sarah sneaks into “tent” to listen in on the conversation. After a few bites, Jesus looks at Abraham with a smile.)

JESUS:
Where is Sarah your wife?

(Sarah stands up straight, curious.)

SARAH:
How did He know my name?

(Sarah quickly goes back to listening in.)

ABRAHAM:
(pointing)
She is, there, in the tent.

JESUS:
I will come back this time next year; and Sarah your wife will have a son.

(Sarah starts laughing silently, then speaks to herself.)

SARAH:
At our age? How can I have a child now? I am far too old.

JESUS:
(speaking to Abraham)
Why did Sarah just now laugh?

(Sarah stands up again, this time in fear.)

ABRAHAM:
Sarah? Sarah!... Why did you just laugh?

SARAH:
(going “outside” sheepishly)
I did not laugh.

BROOK:
Abraham also laughed when God told him the news that they would have a baby.

DARREN:
I believe the issue is more about her lying about it. And not believing what God was promising them.

JESUS:
You did laugh, saying, “How can I have a child now, for I am far too old?” Is ANYTHING too difficult for the LORD?

(Abraham and Sarah shake their heads “no” in agreement.)

BROOK:
It is interesting that people have such a difficult time trusting God – even when He is right there in front of you.

DARREN:
Yet the more we see God fulfilling His promises – the more we SHOULD trust Him.

JESUS:
I will come back this time next year; and Sarah your wife will have a son.

(Abraham and Sarah humbly bow their thanks to Jesus.)

JESUS:
Thank you for your hospitality.

ABRAHAM:
I will walk with You to see you off.

(Sarah bows and exits stage right, while Abraham walks with Jesus and Angels to exit stage left.)


SCENE 3:

ENDING OPTION 3A:
(If using this as a stand-alone skit.)

DARREN:
(closing the Bible)
While God has a plan, He is so very patient with us! Even when we burst out laughing, or try to take matters into our own hands because 
we struggle to believe.

BROOK:
(speaking as they exit)
I’m so glad God loves us that much to never give up on us!


ENDING OPTION 3B:
(If you are continuing on in the series.)

DARREN:
(closing the Bible)
While God has a plan, He is so very patient with us! Even when we burst out laughing, or try to take matters into our own hands because we struggle to believe.

BROOK:
(speaking as they exit)
I’m so glad God loves us that much to never give up on us! I can’t wait to find out where the Lord and the angels are going to go next!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 001: CREATION – by Tanis Harms, © 2012

Church Skits scripts for Time Travel Series by Tanis Harms

TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 016: JACOB DEALING WITH LABAN – by Tanis Harms, © 2012