TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 007: ABRAM HELPING LOT – by Tanis Harms, © 2012

TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 007:
ABRAM HELPING LOT – by Tanis Harms, © 2012
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com


(Ideal for a class going through the main Bible stories. For more, see Time Travel Bible Series menu page.)

STYLE:
Drama/fantasy. (6 pages)

PREMISE:
Brook and Darren imagine what it must have been like for Abram and Lot when they went their separate ways.

TOPIC:
God provides.

SCRIPTURE:
Genesis 13:5-15:1.

CHARACTERS (LINE COUNT) DESCRIPTION:
(12) BROOK – inquisitive girl
(10) DARREN – adventurous boy
( 6) ABRAM –
( 6) LOT –
( 2) FUGITIVE –
( 3) KING OF SODOM –

PROPS:
Crown, Bible (which can have script inside).


SCENE 1:

INTRO OPTION 1A:
(If using this as a stand-alone skit, or if you are starting the series at this point.)

(Darren stands holding a Bible, just staring at the book’s cover when Brook walks in and notices.)

BROOK:
Hey Darren... What are you doing?

DARREN:
Trying to read the Bible.

BROOK:
It helps if you open the book.

(Darren sighs and looks helplessly at Brook.)

DARREN:
I’ve tried that. There are so many big words, and funny names, and-

BROOK:
I bet if it was a computer game, you’d be all into it.

DARREN:
Or just IMAGINE – if we could time travel back, and SEE the Bible stories as they happen!

BROOK:
So, why don’t we try that?!

(Darren holds the Bible while Brook opens it up. Both look at the Bible together, eyes wide and exited.)


INTRO OPTION 1B:
(If you are continuing on in the series.)

(Darren and Brook enter. Darren carries a Bible.)

BROOK:
So last time Abram took matters into his own hands and went to Egypt, only to go back to where he had started. I wonder if he’s going to start trusting God a little more?

DARREN:
We have to find out. Get ready for imagination time travel!

(Darren holds the Bible up, while Brook opens the Bible. They look with excitement, then look around, wondering.)


SCENE 2:

(Abram and then Lot enter stage right.)

BROOK:
So, what’s all happening here?

DARREN:
Well, back in the Bethel and Ai area, Abram and his wife, Sarai, and Lot became very wealthy.

LOT:
Abram, we are obviously running out of land. I’m not complaining. It’s just that as we both keep getting richer with more and more livestock, our herdsmen keep fighting over whose animals are going to eat where.

ABRAM:
Yes, you are right. And, I certainly do not want there to be any fighting. I think it’s time to divide up the land. Which land do you want to choose? If you go to the left, then I will go to the right; or if you want the right, then I will go to the left. Your choice!

LOT:
(thinking and looking around)
Hm...

BROOK:
He’s going to take the best land, isn’t he?

LOT:
I will take the valley of the Jordan, which is well-watered everywhere.

BROOK:
That area definitely looks way better.

(Lot exits stage left.)

DARREN:
Well, Lot went eastward to live in the city of Sodom. And Abram got Canaan.

BROOK:
We’re talking about those Canaanites again?

DARREN:
Yeessss, but we’re not yet. We have to first talk about the people of Sodom, who were very, very wicked and sinned against God.

(Abram kneels in prayer.)

BROOK:
So what exactly is Abram doing now?

DARREN:
Oh, he is thanking the Lord God, who showed Abram the entire land which would be belong to his people forever.

BROOK:
So the Canaanites were NOT giving him trouble just yet?

DARREN:
Not yet, but meanwhile, Lot had his problems.

BROOK:
Maybe he should not have taken the best land. So, what was happening?

DARREN:
There were two groups of kings who were at war. The one group of kings, led by the king of Elam won the battle and went into the cities, which included Sodom. They took all of their food and riches- AND they took Lot and his family.

BROOK:
I guess they took Lot because he was very rich. Ah, and who is this?

(Fugitive rushes on from stage left. Seeing Abram still on his knees, he rushes up to him. Abram looks up.)

FUGITIVE:
Abram? Abram the Hebrew? I am from the household of Lot.

ABRAM:
Is Lot doing well?

FUGITIVE:
No. Our city was captured by the King of Elam and a bunch of other kings. They took everything, including Lot and his family. I escaped and came here to ask for help.

ABRAM:
I have a trained army. And I know, some of my friends who have armies, will help us. Let us get organized and go to war.

(Abram leads Fugitive off stage left.)

DARREN:
Abram and his friends won the battle, and saved Lot and his family, as well as all the people of the cities, such as the city of Sodom.

(Abram enters stage left, followed by Lot, Fugitive and the King of Sodom.)

LOT:
Thanks for helping us out, Uncle Abram!

KING OF SODOM:
As the King of Sodom, I would like to thank you, Abram.

ABRAM:
We will thank our God Most High for this victory.

KING OF SODOM:
Yeah, sure. Whatever. But I would like to thank you by letting you keep all the riches that were taken from our cities. Just let me keep the people, and you can have everything else.

ABRAM:
That is extremely thoughtful, but I promised the LORD God Most High, that I would NOT take anything of yours. I do not want you to be able to say that - YOU have made me rich. Everything that I have - comes from God.

KING OF SODOM:
Most strange, but okay. No problem. I can respect that. Thank you, again. And, we will be on our way, then.

(King of Sodom and Fugitive exit stage left.)

LOT:
Thanks again, Uncle Abram. But, ah, I just cannot understand why you would not accept the king’s reward.

ABRAM:
I know that God will protect me, as well as reward me.

LOT:
Very trusting of you. A little strange, but – very trusting.

(Lot waves and exits stage left.)

BROOK:
So Abram does learn to trust God more.

(Abram waves and exits stage right.)

DARREN:
I guess that’s how it is with us. The more we see God working in our lives, the more we learn to trust God.


SCENE 3:

ENDING OPTION 3A:
(If using this as a stand-alone skit.)

(Darren closes the Bible.)

BROOK:
I just wonder how God rewarded Abram.

DARREN:
Well, we know that God has a plan, and not only is He so very patient with us, He is also very gracious and helpful!

BROOK:
(speaking as they exit)
I’m so glad God loves us that much to never give up on us!


ENDING OPTION 3B:
(If you are continuing on in the series.)

(Darren closes the Bible.)

BROOK:
I just wonder how God is going to reward Abram.

DARREN:
Well, we know that God has a plan, and not only is He so very patient with us, He is also very gracious and helpful!

BROOK:
(speaking as they exit)
I guess we’ll find out next week. I’m just so thankful that God loves us that much to never give up on us!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 001: CREATION – by Tanis Harms, © 2012

Church Skits scripts for Time Travel Series by Tanis Harms

TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 016: JACOB DEALING WITH LABAN – by Tanis Harms, © 2012