TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 006: ABRAM LEAVING HOME – by Tanis Harms, © 2012

TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 006:
ABRAM LEAVING HOME – by Tanis Harms, © 2012
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com


(Ideal for a class going through the main Bible stories. For more, see Time Travel Bible Series menu page.)

STYLE:
Drama/fantasy. (7 pages)

PREMISE:
Brook and Darren imagine what it must have been like for Abraham when asked to leave his home.

TOPIC:
God keeps His promises.

SCRIPTURE:
Genesis 11:27-13:4.

CHARACTERS (LINE COUNT) DESCRIPTION:
(17) BROOK – inquisitive girl
(16) DARREN – adventurous boy
( 1) GOD’S VOICE –
( 3) ABRAM –
( 3) SARAI -
( 2) PHARAOH -

PROPS:
Bible (which can have script inside).


SCENE 1:

INTRO OPTION 1A:
(If using this as a stand-alone skit, or if you are starting the series at this point.)

(Darren stands holding a Bible, just staring at the book’s cover when Brook walks in and notices.)

BROOK:
Hey Darren... What are you doing?

DARREN:
Trying to read the Bible.

BROOK:
It helps if you open the book.

(Darren sighs and looks helplessly at Brook.)

DARREN:
I’ve tried that. There are so many big words, and funny names, and-

BROOK:
I bet if it was a computer game, you’d be all into it.

DARREN:
Or just IMAGINE – if we could time travel back, and SEE the Bible stories as they happen!

BROOK:
So, why don’t we try that?!

(Darren holds the Bible while Brook opens it up. Both look at the Bible together, eyes wide and exited.)


INTRO OPTION 1B:
(If you are continuing on in the series.)

(Darren and Brook enter. Darren carries a Bible.)

BROOK:
Well, last time we saw people putting all their hope into a big city and tower, instead of God. Hopefully today we’ll see someone who honors and obeys God.

DARREN:
So then, are you ready for imagination time travel?

BROOK:
Yeeessss!

(Darren holds the Bible up, while Brook opens the Bible. They look with excitement, then look around, wondering.)


SCENE 2:

(Abram enters and kneels down in prayer.)

BROOK:
Yes! Maybe there IS someone who honors God!

DARREN:
That is Abram. BEFORE God changed his name to Abraham. Just so you don’t get confused.

(Brook looks all around them.)

BROOK:
Although, Abram did not exactly live in a land surrounded by people who honored God!

DARREN:
(referencing the Bible)
And, after Abram’s father died, God spoke to him.

GOD’S VOICE:
Leave your country and relatives and go to the land which I will show you; and I will make you a great nation, I will bless you, and make your name great; and so you shall be a blessing; I will bless those - who bless you, and the one who curses you - I will curse. And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed.

BROOK:
Wait a minute. That sounds familiar.

DARREN:
Yeah, it’s kind of what God told Eve.

BROOK:
Of course! Abram is from Adam and Eve’s family. Because Adam and Eve had brought sin into the world, God promised Eve that through her family line – salvation would come - that salvation being Jesus.

DARREN:
And of course, salvation through Jesus is for anyone in the world who chooses to believe. THAT is the blessing that God is talking about. So, it’s like God is repeating the same promise to Abram.

(Abram stands and holds out his hand for Sarai to enter and join him.)

BROOK:
That must be Sarai, his wife. Didn’t his nephew, Lot, also join them?

DARREN:
Yes. Abram, Sarai and Lot are the only ones mentioned here.

BROOK:
Lot must be packing up for the journey right now.

DARREN:
It took a lot of guts to leave their home and go where God told them to go, which was into the land of Canaan. This would be their Promised Land – because God promised it to them.

(Abram and Sarai kneel down.)

GOD’S VOICE:
To your descendants I will give this land.

BROOK:
(in fear)
Oh-oh, the land of Canaan was their promised land? That – was the nation that had been cursed because it was totally evil and against God. I see where this is going.

DARREN:
God is going to use Abram’s family line to battle against the Canaanites. Except that we’re jumping way ahead of things.

BROOK:
Sorry. I’m just getting so excited about understanding all of this.

DARREN:
Well, they weren’t there for long. When a severe famine took place, Abram went down to live in Egypt.

(Abram and Sarai stand up.)

BROOK:
Did God tell Abram to do that?

(Darren checks the Bible.)

DARREN:
It does not say.

BROOK:
Well, I must say, Sarai is very beautiful. And she’s looking really young for 65.

DARREN:
Yeah, people were still living a bit longer than people do now.

(Abram turns to Sarai.)

ABRAM:
Sarai, we will soon be in Egypt. I have heard that they take all beautiful women away from their families, and give them to the Pharaoh.

SARAI:
But we are married. Would the Egyptians not honor our marriage?

ABRAM:
What they will do – is kill me, so then technically you would not be married anymore.

SARAI:
What are we going to do?

BROOK:
(hinting to Sarai and Abrah who cannot hear her)
You should ask God what to do...

ABRAM:
Sarai, I want you to say that you are my sister. That way they will not kill me.

SARAI:
I am a half-sister to you, so I suppose that is only a half-lie.

BROOK:
Ugh! That is still a lie!

DARREN:
And again, God did not tell Abram to do this. God would NEVER ask us to lie.

(Pharaoh steps out.)

PHARAOH:
Your sister is very beautiful. She will live in my palace. And because of that, I will give you herds of sheep, oxen, donkeys, camels, as well as many servants.

(Pharaoh motions for Sarai to exit with him. Sarai looks back at as she nervously leaves. Abram frets and paces.)

BROOK:
(trying to prompt Abram)
NOW would be another good time to talk with God!

DARREN:
Well, God protected Abram and Sarai anyway. No matter how badly we mess up things, at least God keeps His promises.

(Pharaoh enters angrily, and gently pushes Sarai to Abram.)

PHARAOH:
My family and servants have been hit with great plagues because of Sarai! Bad things are happening to us everywhere. What have you done to me? Why did you lie? Now, here is your wife, take her and go. I will make sure you get out of my land safely with everything I gave you. I do not want any more punishment from your God.

(Pharaoh exits. Abram and Sarai hold hands and exit.)

DARREN:
So Abram, Sarai and Lot went back to Bethel, which is where God had brought them in the first place.

BROOK:
But now they were richer than before. I mean - they were very lucky. I mean - blessed that God was looking out for them. I mean, it’s not like they deserved everything they got.

DARREN:
Like I said before, even when we mess up, God will keep His promises. NOT that THAT means it is okay to mess up. It just means that God is really awesome.


SCENE 3:

ENDING OPTION 3A:
(If using this as a stand-alone skit.)

DARREN:
(closing the Bible)
While God has a plan, He is so very patient with us!

BROOK:
(speaking as they exit)
I’d sure like to know how things would have gone if they HAD done it God’s way. I’m so glad God loves us that much to never give up on us!


ENDING OPTION 3B:
(If you are continuing on in the series.)

(Darren closes the Bible.)

BROOK:
I’d sure like to know how things would have gone if they HAD done it God’s way. I’m so glad God loves us that much to never give up on us!

DARREN:
While God has a plan, He is so very patient with us! And maybe they will do it God’s way next time. I can’t wait to find out.

(Darren speaks while they exit.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 001: CREATION – by Tanis Harms, © 2012

Church Skits scripts for Time Travel Series by Tanis Harms

TIME TRAVEL BIBLE SERIES 016: JACOB DEALING WITH LABAN – by Tanis Harms, © 2012